Daily Debriefing

Andrew Lohse '12 has received a book deal for a forthcoming memoir titled "Party at the End of the World," according to an employee at St. Martin's Press who wished to remain anonymous because she was not authorized to speak on the matter. The book will be a "sex, drugs and alcohol-fueled account of how Lohse nearly lost his life in the country's cradle of frat debauchery," according to a summary posted on Publisher's Marketplace. Lohse and employees of Abrams Artists Agency, which represents Lohse, declined to comment.

In a move to rally one of his largest voter bases, President Barack Obama unveiled an educational program that aims to improve educational advancement for African-Americans across all grade levels, NBC News reported. The new initiative, issued as an executive order that would creat an offshoot of the Education Department, will work with broad federal groups and communities to identify solutions and provide effective education programs for African-American children. Obama did not specify the source or amount of funding for the program. Obama has received criticism in the past for failing to promote unemployment and school dropout initiatives geared specifically toward African-Americans 95% of whom supported him in the 2008 election though he has argued that government programs should aim to support new opportunities for all individuals, NBC reported.

The New York City Council approved plans on Wednesday for an expansion of New York University that would revamp the Greenwich Village neighborhood, The New York Times reported. In a 44-to-1 vote, the Council gave the go-ahead for zoning and map changes that would provide space for four new university buildings. The proposed buildings will house "a skyscraper's worth" of classrooms, dormitories and office space within a 12-block area. The decision was met with fierce opposition by faculty members and local residents, who shouted "shame" and held signs saying "Wrong for NYC. Wrong for the Village. Wrong for NYU." While opponents dread the impact of construction on the historic neighborhood, university president John Sexton praised the opportunity to create new jobs and meet the needs of a growing student body while ensuring NYU's presence in the international sphere, The New York Times reported.