Murphy's owner opens BBQ restaurant

A new barbecue-style restaurant, 3 Guys Basement Barbecue, will open Tuesday in the space formerly occupied by 5 Olde Nugget Alley.

The restaurant is located in a space previously occupied by 5 Olde Nugget Alley, a bar that Leeming described as "basically condemned." In preparation for 3 Guys' opening, the kitchen was outfitted with completely new equipment and the entire space was remodeled, Leeming said.

While many regional styles of barbecue feature meats that are served "wet," the hallmark of Memphis barbecue is a dry spice rub, Leeming said. Customers then add as little or as much sauce to their dishes as they want. 3 Guys will make all of its sauces including its ketchup in house, Leeming said.

The restaurant will seat up to 120 people and is divided into three spaces. The front of the restaurant features three picnic tables designed for large groups and family-style dining. At the back of the restaurant is a large dining area with a full bar that features traditional table seating. In the middle of the restaurant is a fenced-in area called "The Pigpen" with several tables that can be pushed together or kept apart depending on party size. The seating is reflective of 3 Guys' service philosophy, according to Leeming.

"One of the things that's interesting is our whole sharing concept," Leeming said. "There's going to be a lot of people coming down and getting a pound of this and a pound of that, three sides and some biscuits, and you're just going to share it. We're really going to encourage that."

Barbecue is a growing national phenomenon that will add "another layer" to Hanover's restaurant scene, according to Leeming.

"Nobody's doing barbecue in Hanover," he said. "Barbecue is the hottest trend in the country during the recession it was still growing 3 or 4 percent nationally per year. I wanted to get the right price point for this town, and barbecue allows you to do that."

None of the chefs nor Leeming has been specifically trained in barbecuing, but in preparation for 3 Guys' opening they traveled around the United States, Leeming said. The team toured restaurants and kitchens in Memphis, Tenn., Kentucky and Boston.

"We had a lot of fun testing," Leeming said. "We found in the South that a lot of the protein on the plate was really done well but that they paid a lot of attention to the sides as well."

3 Guys' menu will feature six kinds of meat, including brisket and pork shoulder, 10 sides, such as biscuits and "red beans and dirty rice," several appetizers, salads, sandwiches and desserts, according to the restaurant's website. 3 Guys will serve food on-site and to-go, he said.

"The to-go market needs an improvement in quality," Leeming said. "When we put a menu together, we kept in mind the different styles, tastes and budgets of all our customers."

3 Guys' menu was priced with students' and Hanover residents' budgets in mind, according to Leeming. In order to make prices affordable for students and the community, no menu items will exceed $20.

Several preview dinners have already been held at 3 Guys, according to Leeming. Two private parties were held on Friday, and a charity benefit to raise money for Tuck GIVES, a program at the Tuck School of Business that supports Tuck students at summer internships in the nonprofit or public sectors, was held on Sunday. The event raised $3,000, Leeming said.

Leeming said he expects that 3 Guys' opening will keep other local businesses "on their toes," though the restaurant's unique offerings will not cut directly into other businesses.

"I think most restaurants in the area have a little taste of barbecues on their menus, but it's not really predominant," Leeming said. "Here, it is, and the food is awesome."

Leeming contacted studio art professor and director of exhibitions Gerald Auten in hopes of finding an art student who could fill an empty wall in the restaurant. Malia Reeves '12, whom Auten is advising for her honors thesis, painted a mural that reflected Memphis blues culture. The mural counted toward Reeves' honors work, she said. Reeves listened to blues pieces by prominent artists and drew inspiration from art history and the music of the region, she said.

"I was thrilled by the offer, and I'm excited to have it up," she said. "I'm really excited with how it came out, and I'm thrilled to have made my tiny mark on this part of the world."

Students and Hanover residents said they were excited by the prospect of a new restaurant in Hanover.

Erin Abraham '14, who is from Alabama, said she is looking forward to having a more familiar type of cuisine in Hanover.

"It reminds me of home," Abraham said.

Rocio Menescal, the owner of Traditionally Trendy, said she expects 3 Guys to be successful.

"The person in charge has a lot of experience, and they know what they're doing," Menescal said. "I'm happy to know that there will be something new and another option I love barbecue."