Interim president must stress visibility, students say

While many students said that College Provost Carol Folt's experience at Dartmouth will serve her well as interim president, most were unfamiliar with Folt and unable to comment on whether she will fulfill the role of College president effectively. A majority of students interviewed said Folt should make visibility on campus a priority during her tenure as interim president.

On Tuesday, the Board of Trustees appointed Folt as Dartmouth's interim president following the Monday selection of College President Jim Yong Kim as head of the World Bank.

Those students who were familiar with Folt's background and work at the College said she is a fitting pick for the position and will be able to effectively manage the College.

President's Intern Jason Goodman '12 said that Folt will be able to maintain the current "momentum" of the administration's priorities moving forward and that the continuity of leadership is beneficial for the College.

"Selecting Folt was a very logical and wise choice from the Board," Goodman said. "It is going to be a very easy transition for Folt because she has worked with the same people every day and will continue to work with them. As interim president, you do not have a lot of time to be established into your position, but Folt doesn't need it."

Palaeopitus Senior Society moderator Christian Brandt '12 said Folt is well-prepared for the post due to her experience in both the academic and strategic planning aspects of the College.

"It's important for an interim president to know what's happening at Dartmouth, and Folt definitely does," he said, citing Folt's work as dean of the faculty and her many years at Dartmouth. "She will be able to hold down the fort during the transition and search committee process well. She was also a part of the administration when the College was last looking for a president, so that's another positive factor to consider."

Inter-Community Council co-chair Chris O'Connell '13 said he was not surprised by Folt's selection and expects that Folt will aim to keep the College in a "stable and welcoming" position to receive the next president.

"I think she is really receptive to feedback from students and working with students to address concerns and devise solutions," O'Connell said. "I hope she'll voice the need to incorporate a multitude of student voices, instead of just one student member as the College did in 2008, in the presidential search committee."

Will Kuzma '14 said he did not have strong reactions to the pick, largely due to a lack of familiarity with Folt's background and an inability to judge her leadership capabilities.

Bukola Badipe-Hart '15 said she felt similarly unqualified to comment on Folt's qualifications.

"I read about her today, and I know that she was a biology professor, but I wish I knew more about her," she said.

As a freshman, Tara Roudi '15 said she is not familiar with Folt's background or accomplishments.

"I'm a '15, so I don't really know who she is," she said. "Other people I was with when the news broke were not surprised it was Folt, but I honestly cannot speak to how she will perform as president."

Undergraduate Finance Committee chair Rohail Premjee '14 said he expected Folt, who is equipped with the necessary institutional memory for the position, to be selected for the interim post.

Prior to becoming provost in May 2010, Folt served as acting provost, dean of the faculty of arts and sciences, associate dean of the faculty for interdisciplinary programs, dean of graduate studies and the associate director of Dartmouth's interdisciplinary Superfund Basic Research Program. She joined the Dartmouth faculty in the biology department in 1983.

"I was expecting it to be Folt because she seemed to be next in line," Alexander Tejeda '12 said. "She clearly knows Dartmouth well."

Christina Herron '12 said she supported the College's decision to select an interim president from within the Dartmouth community, particularly from within the sciences.

"It's particularly exciting for me because I'm a biology major, so I appreciate that it's someone again who understands the importance of research and the sciences," she said.

As part of the College's announcement, Folt said she will not be considered for the permanent position.

Folt is fit for the interim presidency but would bring "too much baggage" to a permanent presidential role, Brandt said.

"There were times that she clashed with faculty members and student organizations in the past, but she is generally the most in the know, so in that aspect she will be good," Brandt said.

Premjee said that Folt should work to increase communication between the administration and students during her time as interim president.

"Folt has been criticized in the past for not being transparent enough, and oftentimes she doesn't advertise or let people know what she has done," he said. "It may be hard for Folt to get her voice across campus."

Folt must make an effort to work with students directly, utilizing outlets such as Student Assembly during her tenure, according to Premjee.

Kuzma also said that Folt should focus on building a strong relationship between the President's Office and the greater student body.

"Kim's legacy with students is not the best, and I think [Folt] can address this issue and work with students to create a better rapport overall," he said. "I hope she is a real presence on campus."

Goodman said he predicts that Folt will continue to work on many of the same issues and initiatives that Kim focused on during his time at the College, including responsibilities related to alumni relations, faculty recruitment and fundraising.

"The president's job is to look out for the institution as a whole and to continue the trajectory for the College at a very high level," he said. "I also hope that she will do a good job of reaching out to a variety of constituencies, including students."

Premjee is a member of The Dartmouth Staff.