Daily Debriefing

An unnamed Dartmouth alumnus will sell a collection of wine at Christie's an international company that conducts art auctions and private sales on April 13, with part of the proceeds donated to the College, according to an announcement from the auction house. The total value of the sale is estimated to be between $1.6 and $2.3 million, and the donation to the College is expected to be between $390,000 and $530,000. Items for the auction have been collected from regions across the world, including Tuscany, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Languedoc and Spain, according to Charles Antin, a wine specialist at Christie's and the auctioneer for the sale. This type of auction is unusual, as most consignors do not typically donate to charities, Antin said. Interested buyers will have the chance to taste some of the wine being sold at the live auction.

Yale University faculty members passed a resolution on Thursday objecting to the institution's planned partnership with the National University of Singapore, Inside Higher Education reported. In the resolution spurred by Singapore's historic anti-homosexuality laws and limited rights, such as freedom of speech restrictions faculty urged the administration to "respect, protect and further" non-discrimination and to promote rather than compromise its belief in civil liberty and political freedom. Yale President Richard Levin complimented the faculty on a civil and well-run debate but said he remains committed to the Yale-NUS project, according to Inside Higher Ed. Members of the Singaporean institution have indicated that they are willing to discuss human rights issues in relation to the new program, Inside Higher Ed reported.

Office supply company Staples, Inc. nominated Harvard University President Drew Faust to serve on its board of directors, The Boston Globe reported Friday. Questions remain among the Harvard faculty and Staples shareholders about the feasibility of Faust simultaneously holding both positions, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. University presidents who serve on corporate boards have come under scrutiny in recent years, with many critics concerned about potential conflicts of interest and lack of corporate experience. Despite the criticism, one in three presidents of the nation's 50 wealthiest colleges held a position on a corporate board in 2010, according to The Chronicle. Staples Chairman Ron Sargent said that Faust will offer a "unique perspective" given her management and leadership experience, The Globe reported.