Morano Gelato preps for expansion of store

Morano Gelato will take over the space currently occupied by Helium Shoes in a renovation that will take place in May.

The renovations, which will double the store's size, are scheduled to begin on May 1 and should be completed by May 20, according to Morano.

The shop must expand in order to meet demand, Morano said, estimating that over half of the customers are Dartmouth students, faculty and staff. Morano said she considers word-of-mouth among students her "number one" source of advertising, with many students coming to the store on a regular basis with their friends.

"I always think it's important to offer customers something new every year," she said. "Most importantly, I am doing this because I think I'm filling a void in the Town of Hanover."

Morano said she anticipates an increased volume of customers during the summer, necessitating extra space.

Stephanie Suter, the owner of Helium Shoes, moved Helium Shoes to its location in Hanover in 2007 after relocating from Norwich, Vt. After Morano expressed interest in expanding the store, Suter decided to close her shop instead of accepting a short-term lease or moving to a new location.

"The store was growing," Suter said. "We were doing fine I just didn't want to move again."

Helium Shoes will officially close in late April before Morano Gelato is renovated, she said.

"Even in winter, there have been times when there hasn't been enough seating," she said.

The expansion will allow Morano to fulfill her "ultimate goal" presenting her gelato in a traditional Italian gelato case that features 16 flavors in wide five-liter pans, she said. The store currently produces 13 flavors daily.

"Presentation is everything with gelato," Morano said. "This new case will optimize presentation so there will be a wow' factor."

In addition to gelato characterized by a higher density, higher serving temperature and lower concentration of butterfat than ice cream Morano Gelato serves small beverages, espresso and a variety of imported Italian goods and candy, she said. The impending expansion will enable Morano to diversify food and drink options and provide offerings found in most Italian gelato stores, she said.

"We will be offering creative and traditional sandwich options that one could see in any bar in Italy," she said. "In the fall, we will start serving a small selection of wines."

Morano Gelato will remain closed on Mondays until renovations are complete, serving customers the remaining days of the week. The store will also close several days before the grand reopening, Morano said. Morano premiered her gelato at the Hanover Farmers' Market in June 2010 after spending time in Italy, where she realized her passion for gelato making. After a brief period selling her gelato in Rosey Jekes Cafe, Morano moved to the store's current location on Main Street in 2011.

Students said they are pleased with the store's current options and excited about the store's future.

"I'm glad that they will offer Italian sandwiches since their gelato is so great," Lane Zuraw '15, who visits the shop a few times a term, said. "They need to expand. When it's cold outside and there's nowhere to sit in the store, I sometimes end up not getting gelato."

Sarah Yalowitz '15 said she hopes that the store will provide vegetarian options and begin offering larger meals.