Kosovo president addresses students

Atifete Jahjaga, the president of the Republic of Kosovo, discussed her country's struggle for independence with an excited crowd of students, faculty and community members gathered in the Hopkins Center's Moore Theater yesterday. Her speech focused on the difficulties that Kosovo is currently facing with conflicting ethnic factions and United Nations recognition.

Kosovo, which gained independence from Serbia in 2008 "thanks to nationwide resistance and armed struggle" following the 1998-1999 Kosovo War, has been grappling with ethnic divisions that are characteristic of the Balkan region, according to Jahjaga.

"There are three municipalities in northern Kosovo with ethnic Serb majorities and ground access to Serbia," Jahjaga said. "These municipalities do not recognize the authority of the Republic of Kosovo, but I believe there is no need for further fragmentation."

Jahjaga, the first woman to serve as president of a Balkan nation, discussed her experiences with the education system in Kosovo, in which students were forced to attend university in private homes to avoid punishment. She said that prior to the creation of Kosovo, a "fear of repression was attached to my desire to learn" because Serbian officers used to "break into classes to imprison teachers and stop us from being knowledgeable."

Jahjaga praised the progress that has been made in Kosovo's education system.

"Now, students can learn in a regular school environment," she said. "Youngsters of my country, and I consider myself as such, can learn through contemporary programs in other cosmopolitan places."

At the end of her speech, Jahjaga presented the Mother Teresa Award for contribution in the field of humanism to James Strickler DMS '51, who led Dartmouth's efforts to provide resources to Kosovo and help the nation reconstruct its health education and health care systems.

The College first sent aid to Kosovo in conjunction with Dartmouth Medical School faculty who provided critical care to refugees after the war, according to College Provost Carol Folt. Dartmouth now offers opportunities for medical students, physicians and nurses to participate in exchange programs, and there have been more than 200 exchanges of medical faculty and students between Dartmouth and Kosovo.

"I am inspired by the progress and steps that have been taken to improve health care in Kosovo," Emily Carson DMS '15, who plans to travel to Kosovo with DMS next year, said. "I am also excited to be able to keep the tradition of Dartmouth Medical School's involvement with Kosovo alive."

Dartmouth and the American University in Kosovo created a partnership two years ago that includes conducting faculty and student exchange programs and supporting curriculum development. In June, a group of Dartmouth students and recent graduates traveled to Kosovo with Project Preservation and, working with American University in Kosovo students, helped restore a Jewish cemetery in Pristina, Kosovo's capital.

"The long-standing relationship Dartmouth has had with Kosovo is an important one to our community," College President Jim Yong Kim said. "We are proud of our ongoing commitment to help the Kosovar people improve their health care system and excited about our more recent efforts to help the American University in Kosovo prepare its next generation of leaders. President Jahjaga's visit gives us a wonderful opportunity to celebrate our partnership."

On Wednesday, Jahjaga will attend an undergraduate class on state creation taught by government professor John Carey. Following her visit to Dartmouth, Jahjaga will participate in the Women in the World Summit in New York City, a conference featuring women who are leaders and activists around the globe.

Jahjaga began her professional career as a police officer, rising to the position of acting director of police in 2009, a post she held until her election to the presidency last April at the age of 35.

Folt introduced Jahjaga, discussing Dartmouth's involvement in the Republic of Kosovo and sharing her own experiences visiting the Balkans.

"Your efforts have been profoundly moving to me because you are bringing democracy to that region," Folt said. "The first time I visited the homeland of my ancestors, I was filled with optimism for the future."

Caroline Liegey '13 said she attended the event with fellow members of Sigma Delta sorority to hear the perspective of a female leader.

"I thought she made some very interesting political points," she said. "In fact, most of her speech was focused on politics. I found it to be a good sign that it doesn't have to be about being a woman."