Chang: The Dangers of Community

We attend an institution that values ingenuity and initiative as absolutely paramount facets of one's character. It doesn't take much time to realize that while Dartmouth may be small, the diversity of our student body comprises all sorts of interests, strengths and backgrounds.

Because of this, Dartmouth strives to emphasize a strong sense of community. We are, it would seem, one big family with one great goal in mind: success. Although I admit that this communal aspect of Dartmouth immediately put me at ease, in the past few weeks, I have begun to consider whether this idea of community sometimes goes too far. After all, how can we apply one concept to so many people?

Everyone has a desire to belong. I, for one, have found myself gradually adjusting my values and moral compass in order to facilitate some of the relationships I have formed here. I have become complacent with myself, even if I am not complacent in the context of my school. Perhaps this is my fault. Maybe I haven't found the right crowd, or I'm trying too hard to fit in. Before coming to college, I never felt the need to fit in. It isn't that Dartmouth has somehow robbed me of my self-esteem, but rather that I have come to care very deeply about the opinions of those around me because I truly respect them. And while I certainly am concerned by problems that I've identified here, I have no desire to alienate myself.

I don't believe that Dartmouth students attempt to conform to some sort of standard. But there are certain norms that shape the culture of such a compact institution: There sometimes seems to be little room for branching out. On weekends (and Mondays and Wednesdays), the scene is relatively predictable, and while this doesn't single-handedly suggest that Dartmouth students aren't creative enough to find other things to do on our non-work-filled evenings, it certainly is a visible manifestation of the almost static atmosphere that sometimes plagues our school. We are deeply rooted in tradition, and while we are not averse to change, I am sometimes aware of a sort of one-dimensionality that permeates several aspects of Dartmouth life. The critics are there I hear them. The problem is, I don't see them. Talk is cheap, and even as the fraternities begin to lose their appeal, they still attract the same people who complain about the monotony and the atmosphere during the day, only to find themselves back in the same basements a few hours later. If a problem is perceived, what is it that is stopping us driven, proactive and leadership-prone Dartmouth students from taking a legitimate stand?

Our sense of community is absolutely fantastic, but it should not come at the expense of individualism. Dartmouth is a different school for each of its students, but somehow, these proofs of individuality are not nearly as visible as they should be. Instead, we fall back into a complacency that supposes that the collective voice is the greater voice. And this simply isn't the case. Dartmouth provides so many opportunities for us to rise above the cacophony and make our presence known. At some point, we must address the issues that we see at Dartmouth without too much consideration of potential social repercussions. For in this community, there will always be a culture of acceptance, and going against the grain will not ostracize us from the entirety of Dartmouth. If we care enough to say something, we should also care enough to do something.