Alumni express praise, uncertainty about nomination

This article appeared in a special issue of The Dartmouth examining College President Jim Yong Kim's nomination to head the World Bank.

Alumni pointed to Kim's successes closing the budget deficit and increasing the College's visibility, but some lamented the short duration of his time in office.

News of Kim's nomination was met with a "roller coaster of emotions," according to Vice President of Alumni Relations Martha Beattie '76.

"I feel immense pride that Dartmouth's president would be selected for this important job, but some regret that he is leaving in the middle of a very active presidency," Chair of the Alumni Liaison Committee Thomas Peisch '70 said.

The attention Kim is receiving for his nomination reflects well on Dartmouth and will raise the College's international profile, according to several alumni.

Referring to Kim's current international tour, Beattie said that Kim will be seen as a representative of Dartmouth.

"He's there as the president of Dartmouth College and an adopted alumnus of the Class of '82," she said.

Former Student Body President Eric Tanner '11 said that Kim's nomination will bring "global attention" to the College.

Kim did not intend to leave the College so soon, according to Association of Alumni President John Daukas '84, who said he is close to many members of the College administration.

"This kind of came out of the blue," Daukas said. "It's not like he was looking to ditch us."

Criticisms that Kim used the College as a "stepping stone" are unjustified, Kate Strayer-Benton '05, a member of the executive committee of the Association of Alumni, said. Strayer-Benton said she believes that Kim "turned down other political appointments" during his time at Dartmouth.

"Do you want to be an institution who looks for a president who is at the end of their career where Dartmouth is their last stop, or is it OK to have someone who will have another step?" Strayer-Benton said.

Kim's departure would be "a great loss for Dartmouth in the short-term," trustee candidate Ben Wilson '73 said.

After three years in office, Kim is now in a position where he has "assembled his team, has overcome the initial financial challenges and is in the process of putting his mark on the place," Peisch said. If Kim is confirmed, "he won't be around to carry it through," he said.

Kim's departure would place the College in "another state of flux," Mary-Ellyn Tarzy '78 said. "He's leaving the College in a lurch a little bit."

The initiatives that Kim has begun will likely "stall" if he leaves, according to Jack Newsom '92.

During his tenure, Kim closed a $100-million budget gap resulting from the recession. He also led a strategic planning initiative and created a multi-college Learning Collaborative on High-Risk Drinking.

Newsom expressed concern that the transition to a new president would slow progress on any programs that Kim intends to develop.

"Nothing significant can happen for 18 months," Newsom said.

Other alumni were more positive about the College's future. Although Kim's nomination was "a little bit of a shock to the system," the College "is in great shape," Jay Miller '82 said.

Wilson said that the College would be able to continue Kim's initiatives.

"What President Kim has started won't stop," Wilson said.

During his presidency, Kim "raised the bar" and developed processes that have enabled the College to handle challenges more effectively, Miller said. Kim's approach to obstacles has been to evaluate problems in a holistic manner, Miller said. Beattie said Kim has built a strong administration that will be able to help the College during its transition period.

"All the people supporting what he's created are as strong as Dartmouth has ever been," Beattie said.

Tanner said while he was "personally happy for [Kim]," he was also "selfishly kind of sad." Tanner said he worked closely with Kim during his tenure as student body president and was disappointed that the "little ideas and fun conversations" he shared with Kim are now unlikely to come to fruition, he said.

"It's bittersweet because I'm losing a part of what makes me feel connected to the College," he said.

Recent alumni with whom Tanner has spoken have "mixed emotions" about Kim's nomination, he said.

"We wonder what the future of all those things that we put so much hard work and effort into will be when there's another transition," he said.

Kim has often encouraged students to follow John Sloan Dickey's advice to make the world's troubles their own, and now he is setting the example by doing so himself, Beattie said. Leadership and service are ideals that the College has always valued, and Kim's acceptance of the nomination is "an incredible testament to this deep commitment to service," according to Beattie.

Kim is a "visionary, inspirational and transformative leader," she said. "Obviously the president of the U.S. saw and recognized that."

Although some people initially questioned Kim's nomination due to his lack of background in economics, "people got beyond that," Miller said.

"He's got great natural leadership skills," Miller said.

The College thrived under Kim's leadership, according to many alumni interviewed by The Dartmouth.

During Kim's presidency, the College saw a significant rise in applicants, fostered a satisfied student body and developed a cohesive alumni body, Peisch said.

Kim launched a number of "critically important initiatives," including the strategic planning initiative, during his time at the College, Alumni Council President Danielle Dyer '81 said.

Although some alumni were initially wary of electing someone who had not attended Dartmouth as president of the College, Daukas said he thought that Kim quickly appeased those fears and proved that he "got Dartmouth" after taking the time to study the College's "culture."

Kim "re-embraced the Greek system, the athletics program and the idea of a well-rounded Dartmouth man or woman," Daukas said.

Some alumni praised Kim's efforts to maintain Dartmouth's traditions and culture instead of trying to alter them.

"Kim was not someone who came in with an agenda to try and change who we were, " Gary Love '76, first vice president of the Association of Alumni, said.

Instead of attempting to change aspects of the College, Kim instead focused on getting people to look at Dartmouth in a new way.

"He made people think differently about the College and what its potential is," Doug Wise '59 said.

Recalling William Henry Harrison, the ninth president of the United States who died after only 32 days in office, Tanner said that there is potential for Kim to be remembered as "the one who served for only three years," he said.

"At a place where we've only had 17 presidents, it's a pretty big deal to have a transition," Tanner said.