Mild weather dampens winter fun

Relatively high winter temperatures and a lack of significant snowfall are adversely impacting Dartmouth's traditional winter activities, including skiing at the Dartmouth Skiway, ice skating on Occom Pond and cross-country skiing on the Hanover Country Club golf course, according to Dartmouth students. Students said they are altering their participation in outdoor activities due to the mild winter.

January is typically Hanover's coldest month, with an average high temperature of 29.3 degrees Fahrenheit and an average snowfall of 17.6 inches, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. This January, however, saw only 8.1 inches of snow and an average temperature five degrees above normal, according to AccuWeather.com.

While the Skiway is making about the same amount of snow as in previous years as insurance against the "unpredictability of Mother Nature," attendance at the Skiway is "definitely down significantly," Skiway Manager Doug Holler said.

Financial repercussions have accompanied decreased attendance, with fewer people taking lessons, renting equipment and buying food in the cafeteria, Holler said. While people are staying away from the Skiway because of the perceived lack of snow and poor trail conditions, Holler said employees are working hard to maintain the Skiway, and he wonders "why people aren't coming out and skiing."

The Skiway would only close if it could not be opened or operated, which almost never happens, Holler said. The Skiway was temporarily closed on a Friday "about a week and a half ago" because of high winds that made a lift inoperable, but it was reopened as soon as the wind subsided, Holler said. He said he does not foresee any operational problems as a result of the snow or warm temperatures this winter.

Julia Danford '13 said that while she visited the Skiway "probably seven times" two winters ago, she has not gone once this year, largely due to the lack of snow.

Emily Hoffman '14, a member of the Dartmouth Ski Patrol, said she remains optimistic about the Skiway's prospects this term despite the unseasonably warm weather.

"Even though there has been less natural snow this year, the Skiway is doing a great job making snow, and we are looking forward to a great season," Hoffman said.

The warm weather has also affected other outdoor activities this term, including cross-country skiing on the golf course and ice skating on Occom Pond. While the Skiway continues to be fully operational, cross-country skiing has been virtually nonexistent this term as a result of an inability to groom the trails, according to Outdoor Operations Assistant Mike Silverman.

Although Occom Pond is normally open until March, it has been closed frequently this term due to high temperatures. While Facilities Operations and Management "does a good job" keeping the pond open for skating as much as possible, it melts quickly even when it is kept open, Silverman said. Fewer people have skated on the pond when it has been open this term than in previous years, he said.

However, the skating instruction program run by the Dartmouth women's hockey team on Sunday mornings has experienced some success, according to Silverman. Although they "haven't had a lot of Sundays," 50 people participated in the program two weeks ago, he said.

Some students, however, including Mariah Claw '15, who hails from Arizona, said they prefer a milder winter.

"I'm not really a snow person," Claw said. "I actually really, really like the weather."