Daily Debriefing

The man arrested on homicide charges in the alleged murder of Crispin Scott '13 has been identified as Oscar Vicente Castro Cadeno, a 41-year-old from Ecuador, El Periodico de Catalunya reported Thursday. After searching the perpetrator's home in Esplugues, a municipality of Barcelona, Catalonian police discovered over 100 photographs of 20 young men who appeared to be unconscious and showed signs of having been sexually assaulted, El Periodico reported. All of the individuals were white and appeared to be in their 20s. The photographs found by investigators, all in print form, showed similar patterns, documenting the men in both clothed and unclothed states, and some of the pictures showed Castro sexually assaulting the men, according to El Periodico. The authorities are attempting to locate the individuals in the photographs, saying that the arrested man is HIV-positive and may have infected some of his victims, El Periodico reported. Investigators said Castro frequented bars and convinced individuals to return to his home for drinks, a strategy he likely employed after meeting Scott in a bar on Aribau Street in the Eixample district of Barcelona. Officers also searched the nearby building of a woman whom Castro looked after and determined that he likely stole the barbiturates used on his victims from the woman, according to El Periodico. After moving to Barcelona in 2007, Castro joined various artists' circles and associations, and he began sharing his photography and poetry. One member of the Artists Circle of Esplugues told El Periodico that Castro said "he liked to take photos and print them in large-size formats." To date, officers have only located one of Castro's victims, a young man who accused Castro of drugging and sexually violating him in 2009. At the time, the case was closed because it was "one person's word against another's," El Periodico reported.

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., and Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., expressed their support for a proposed partnership between Darmouth Medical School and the Manchester Veterans Affairs Medical Center in a letter to the VA headquarters in Washington, D.C., according to a DMS press release. The proposal, which was handed over to the VA headquarters less than a month ago, is undergoing the process for approval, and the VAMC does not foresee any difficulties, according to Marc Levenson, director of VAMC Manchester. The partnership would provide veterans with better care and "would be a good idea for everyone affiliated," Alan Green, chairman of psychiatry department at DMS, said. Levenson said the partnership would be "very stimulating" for his staff and would provide DMS students and professors with valuable experiences. DMS already has a partnership with the VAMC in White River Junction, after which the new partnership would be partially modeled, according to Levenson.