Officers investigate recent campus crimes

Following several recent incidents of crime, including a reported instance of sexual assault on Sunday morning and four thefts in the Zimmerman Fitness Center in Alumni Gym this term, Safety and Security is encouraging students to remain alert as the investigations continue, Roddy Young, the Office of Public Affairs' vice president for communications, said in an email to The Dartmouth. At 12:04 p.m. on Sunday, Director of Safety and Security and College Proctor Harry Kinne sent a campus-wide email alerting the College community of an alleged incident of sexual assault that occurred early Sunday morning.

According to the crime alert, a female student reported that she awoke Sunday morning in her dormitory room to an unidentified male making sexual contact with her. The male who could not be confirmed as a Dartmouth student attempted to hold the student down and cover her head with a blanket. She yelled at the perpetrator, who then fled the room, the alert said.

The email described the suspect as a short-haired male between 5'8" and 6', dressed in a short-sleeved shirt and jeans. The alert did not specify in which residence hall the incident occurred.

Safety and Security has increased its campus surveillance in response to the assault and is actively pursuing the perpetrator. Young said he could not disclose specific College tactics to track down the individual "as it would diminish their ability to deter."

Safety and Security advises students to be aware of their surroundings and of strangers asking for directions, and encourages students to report any suspicious activity immediately, according to Young.

Young said he could not comment on the details of the Sunday morning assault beyond what was described in the crime alert email.

Students interviewed by The Dartmouth responded to the crime alert with surprise and concern.

"Initially, I was shocked and confused," Jill Horing '15 said. "It seems unbelievable because Dartmouth seems like a very safe campus."

Some students said the assault has prompted them to make changes to their daily routines.

"I'm glad that Safety and Security notified people about that," Ellen Pittman '14 said. "Also, I'm mildly freaked out by the situation that it actually happened. It makes me more on alert."

Michael Perlstein '14 said the news is unsettling given the College's recent attempts to reduce sexual crimes on campus.

"There are a lot of discussions about sexual assault on campus, but you don't expect to hear about an actual incident," Perlstein said. "It's really shocking."

Students also recently reported four thefts from the cubbies in Alumni Gym, according to Fitness Center director Hugh Mellert. Three students' belongings were stolen at approximately the same time on Saturday afternoon, following a single theft reported on Oct. 10, Mellert said. The stolen items included backpacks and wallets, he said.

Mellert said he advised the students to file reports with Safety and Security, and encourages all students not to bring valuables to the Fitness Center and to keep their Dartmouth ID cards with them while they exercise.

"I think that the important thing is to realize those cubbies are not secure and that anything you leave there is not safe," Mellert said. "Hopefully we can put a stop to the thefts."

Sarah Tanaka '12, who reported her wallet missing from her closed gym bag on Oct. 10, said she left her belongings in one of the Fitness Center cubbies for about an hour while she exercised. She filed a report with the Hanover Police Department but has not heard from them since, she said. Tanaka's wallet contained cash, credit cards and her driver's license.

"I don't bring anything valuable with me anymore and if I do, I bring all my belongings with me into the gym," she said.

Mellert sent an email to Fitness Center employees on Saturday to notify them about the recent string of thefts and to ask them to warn students at the gym not to leave valuables in the cubbies, according to Krina Shah '11, who works at the Fitness Center information desk while also attending Dartmouth Medical School. Signs above the cubby clusters also notify students about the thefts.

Anthony Giralo, a Thayer School of Engineering student, said that after learning of the thefts he will now consider bringing a lock and using the lockers on the lower level.

"The cubbies are so convenient," he said. "It's annoying that someone's ruining that. It's just a shame, especially at such a fine institution like Dartmouth."

Safety and Security deferred requests for comment to the Office of Public Affairs.