Daily Debriefing

The Tuck School of Business ranked first for the number of job offers students received following Commencement, as 97 percent of graduates received offers, according to a ranking published by Poets and Quants on Nov. 8. In its second year in the number one ranking, Tuck shares the top spot with Harvard Business School, Columbia Business School and the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management. Job offers for graduates of highly ranked business schools have increased over the past two years, and only one highly-ranked business school examined by Poets and Quants the Georgia Institute of Technology's College of Management reported a decrease in the percentage of graduates offered jobs. Tuck's 2011 success rate is identical to that of last year but represents an 11 percent increase from 2009, when only 86 percent of graduates received offers, Poets and Quants reported.

The United States Naval Academy improperly spent and received gifts and corporate sponsorships from 2005-2010, according to an audit released Thursday by the U.S. Department of Defense's Office of the Inspector General, the Associated Press reported. The audit, which served as a follow-up to a 2009 audit, showed that the Naval Academy spent $3.5 million to produce a short film and six commercials aimed at recruiting soldiers. The audit claims that these funds were not appropriated for the film, and the contract that allowed for their use violated the Antideficiency Act since the money was not issued by Congress, according to the AP. The audit also showed that the academy's deputy for finance, who resigned earlier this year, improperly accepted $184,000 in gifts from alumni. The academy also allegedly received $343,208 in improper corporate sponsorships between April 2007 and March 2010 that was spent on activities that did not benefit students, the AP reported.

Veterans who use the GI Bill to attend college after completing their service are likely to succeed if they receive support from their respective schools, according to a Nov. 10 report conducted by Operation College Promise and the Pat Tillman Foundation. The study, titled "Completing the Mission: A Pilot Study of Veteran Students' Progress Toward Degree Attainment in the Post 9/11 Era," examined seven public universities that offered significant support to their student veterans. Of the 200 veterans studied, the average grade point average was 3.04, and 94 percent of the students remained enrolled from Fall 2010 to Spring 2011, with 71 percent of students earning every credit attempted, according to the report. Researchers plan to conduct a study of veterans at institutions that do not offer veterans substantial support in order to compare findings, Hunter Riley, director of programs at the Pat Tillman Foundation, said in an interview with Inside Higher Ed.