Daily Debriefing

The Dartmouth Ethics Bowl team placed first in the Northeast Regional Ethics Bowl on Nov. 12 at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y., confirming its bid to the 16th Intercollegiate National Ethics Bowl Competition in Cincinnati on March 1, Ethics Bowl president Matt Jorgensen '12 said in an interview with The Dartmouth. Jorgensen, Shengzhi Li '12, Erich Hartfelder '12, Annie Lape '13 and Amanda Young '15 debated a total of 15 ethics cases ranging on topics from Qur'an burning to attractiveness discrimination in hiring. The team received the case topics early in Fall term and met weekly to discuss the cases, thinking of all possible arguments for each side and attempting to create guiding principles to apply to each case, Jorgensen said. At competitions, each team member usually takes three cases and prepares a 10-minute opening argument, he said. At the national level, the Dartmouth team will face 32 other debate squads from across the country.

International student enrollment in American universities and the number of U.S. students opting to study abroad have both increased over the past few years, according to the Open Doors report published by the Institute of International Education. International student enrollment increased by 5 percent from 2010 to 2011, marking a 3-percent increase from last year. Study abroad programs experienced a 3.9-percent increase in the 2009-2010 academic year, signifying a recovery from a 0.8-percent decline in participation from 2008-2009. China, India and South Korea sent the greatest number of students to study in the United States, comprising 46 percent of all international students in America, the report said. From 2009-2010, a record 270,604 American students studied abroad, according to the report. From 2009 to 2010, the top three locations for study abroad programs were Britain, Italy and Spain. While more students are venturing to study abroad in Sub-Saharan Africa and Turkey, the number of students traveling to Mexico and Japan has decreased, according to the report.

The National Autonomous University of Mexico will create open online access to all periodicals and magazines as well as all theses and dissertations published by the university, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported on Sunday. The university will drastically increase the number of web pages that are open to the public, as part of the new program, "All of UNAM Online." Resources for about 300 undergraduate and graduate courses will also be posted online, UNAM social sciences and education professor Imanol Ordorika said in an interview with The Chronicle. As the largest university in Mexico, UNAM intends to make these resources available to the public, especially for underrepresented populations not affiliated with the university.