Daily Debriefing

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health laid off 50 workers on Monday to help alleviate a $100 million budget deficit, the Valley News reported. The layoffs will result in annual savings of $3 million, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Director of Media Relations Rick Adams said in an interview with the Valley News. In an attempt to protect the quality of patient care, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health spared nurses and physicians from the layoff. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health has offered all employees between four and 12 weeks of severance pay depending on seniority, will provide employees assistance with their future job searches and will pay for former employees' medical and dental coverage until the end of December. Among New Hampshire hospitals, more than 650 jobs have been cut in recent months due to budget deficits, the Valley News reported. Adams did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

Yale University's Deputy Provost Stephanie Spangler will assume a newly-created role in which she will supervise and train current Title IX coordinators responsible for monitoring gender discrimination and sexual misconduct at the university, the Yale Daily News reported Tuesday. The appointment, announced in a Monday email from Yale Provost Peter Salovey to the Daily News, follows the release of a report by the Advisory Committee on Campus Climate last Thursday, which suggested improved training for coordinators and better communication between them and the rest of campus. The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights is currently investigating Yale for "an alleged hostile sexual environment on campus," the Daily News reported. Spangler's new position is not a direct response to the ongoing investigation, the Daily News reported.

Individuals with a bachelor's degree are most likely to achieve middle-class employment and wages in the United States, according to a Nov. 14 report from the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce. The study also determined that women require higher education levels than men to achieve equal wages, and most jobs available to high school graduates lacking college degrees are in male-dominated fields such as manufacturing, construction, transportation and hospitality. Only one in three jobs available to those without college degrees pay more than $35,000 annually, according to the report. The National Research Center for Career and the Technical Education and the National Association of State Directors of Career Technical Education contributed to the report, titled "Career Clusters: Forecasting Demand for High School Through College Jobs, 2008-2018."