Volleyball beats Harvard, regaining early-season form

10.24.11.sports.Volleyball
10.24.11.sports.Volleyball

Kendall Houston '12 said Dartmouth (12-7, 4-4 Ivy) played solidly in the match.

"We executed our system properly and our passing enables us to be offensively effective," Houston said.

Madeline Baird '12 led Dartmouth with 21 kills and 16 digs. Baird is now four kills shy from surpassing the all-time kills record held by Ashley Dean '02, which stands at 1,180 kills.

Baird said her success is a reflection of the team as a whole.

"I think all that is an indication of where the volleyball program here is going and how successful it will be in the future," she said.

Several other strong Big Green performances accompanied Baird's, with Meghan Cooney '14 registering 17 kills and 13 digs, co-captain Amber Bryant '12 leading the team with 22 digs and Alissa Santa Maria '13 recording a double-double with 45 assists and 11 digs.

The Big Green fell behind 11-7 in the first set before jumping into the lead with an 8-2 run. From there, Dartmouth used its momentum to get ahead 24-19, creating five set points. The Crimson (10-8, 3-5 Ivy) defended three of the set points before falling, 25-22.

The second set was neck and neck, with the teams tied at 18-18. Following two kills by Cooney, Dartmouth pulled ahead, 23-20. After another back and forth, Baird made a kill to win the set, 25-23.

Houston said the 10-minute break between the second and third sets upset Dartmouth's rhythm.

"That break really disrupted our play," Houston said. "When you have that much momentum, it's hard to just stop and pick up again because it changes the mentality of the players."

The Crimson jumped out to an 11-5 lead early on, and Harvard managed to use the advantage to control the rest of the third set. Harvard won six of the final eight points for a decisive 25-19 victory.

Dartmouth quickly rebounded, however. The Big Green's match-high .296 hitting percentage in the fourth set easily overshadowed the Crimson's .071 hitting percentage, and Dartmouth won by the match's highest margin, 25-15.

The Big Green outhit Harvard, hitting .231 for the entire game compared to Harvard's .180. Dartmouth also had more service aces than Harvard, topping it five to one. Both teams totaled seven blocks.

The win marks the Big Green's sixth straight victory over the Crimson. Dartmouth beat Harvard in Cambridge, Mass., on Sept. 24.

Dartmouth plays at home again this weekend, facing both Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania for the second time this season.

"I think since the last time we played Penn and Princeton, our defense has gotten much more aggressive and we're working together more effectively," Baird said. "I think that especially with Penn, it will be a much more competitive match."

The Big Green plays Princeton (14-6, 7-1 Ivy) on Friday at 7 p.m. and Penn (6-12, 2-6 Ivy) on Saturday at 5 p.m.