June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Utilizing tough defense, field hockey wins 1-0

Battling through sheets of icy rain in Cambridge, Mass., the Dartmouth field hockey team shut out Harvard University on Saturday, 1-0. The Big Green put on one of its best defensive performances of the season in the win, holding Harvard to just nine total shots.

Co-captain Kelly Hood '12 said the hard-fought win showcased Dartmouth's perseverance.

"About 20 minutes into the second half, it was sleeting and we could barely feel our hands anymore," Hood said. "We were able to overcome that adversity, though. We stayed focused and finished the game with a win."

Co-captain Kerry Bracco '11 echoed Hood and said the weather presented a significant obstacle for the Big Green.

"We played a really good game, considering the weather and everything," Bracco said. "I felt so bad for all of the people watching us."

Jenna Stearns '13 played a large role in the shut out, turning aside four shots to keep the Crimson from reaching the back of the net. Hood applauded Stearns, who is not the team's regular goalkeeper, for her outstanding performance.

The rest of the defensive line also gave a stellar performance, Bracco said.

"I think on defense, we were very proactive," Bracco said. "There were very few times they actually got the ball into our circle."

The Big Green controlled the Crimson in almost every facet of the defensive game, evidenced by Dartmouth's 8-3 advantage in penalty corners.

Although the Big Green managed to get the ball through the net only once, Dartmouth outperformed Harvard on offense, taking 21 shots in the game.

About 15 minutes into the second half, Maya Herm '13 scored the Big Green's lone goal. Herm scored her fourth goal of the season out of the left corner on an assist by Liz Blanken '13, shooting past Harvard junior goalie Cynthia Tassopoulos.

Bracco said Dartmouth remained confident despite the team's lack of scoring during the first half.

"We had a hard time putting the ball in the goal, but we didn't let that discourage us and we finally scored," Bracco said. "On offense, we did a really good job passing, getting open for each other and playing smart. It was a major team effort."

Hood said the team entered the second half determined to put at least one point on the scoreboard.

"At halftime, we said that we just needed to apply a ton of pressure and we knew we would score, and that's exactly what happened," Hood said.

The two teams entered the contest with identical Ivy League records. Dartmouth pulled ahead of Harvard with the win, and is now tied with Columbia University for third place.

The season culminates on Sunday, when the Big Green plays Cornell University in Hanover at 12 p.m.

"Cornell should be a good game," Bracco said. "We've never beaten them since I've been here, so I'm really hoping for a win."

Hood said she is confident that Dartmouth can finish the season with a victory.

"We want to end the season on a high note, 10-7 and 5-2 in the Ivy League, so we're just going to work hard all week to achieve that goal," Hood said.

The team will also attend a banquet on Saturday night to celebrate the season and recognize award recipients. On Sunday, the team's four seniors Bracco, Hood, Meghan Everett '12 and Meagan Vakiener '12 will be honored at the game.