Now playing IN HANOVER: Sarah's Key

Elle s'appelait sarah" (2009)
Elle s'appelait Sarah (2009) r

Directed by: Gilles Paquet-BrennerStarring: Thomas, Mayance, Niles ArestrupRuntime: 111 minutesRated: PG-13

With "Sarah's Key," Paquet-Brenner offers a picturesque, emotive film about survival and hidden truths that only lacks in pacing. Adapted from a novel of the same name, the movie remains true to the book's heart-rending material. However, the latter half of the movie tends to drag unnecessarily, occasionally giving into melodramatics, especially in the modern-day scenes. Nonetheless, the film paints a poignant portrait of a difficult time in France's history. Katie TaiFor World War II movie enthusiasts, "Sarah's Key" delivers. The hope, torment and loneliness that define Sarah's mysterious life make for a captivating story, brought down only by occasional moments of poor acting and overly dramatized relationships. With such a weak connection between the two women, Sarah's story turns into a life-changing family secret without justification. Despite this disconnect, "Sarah's Key" is an engaging film worth watching. Sarah Scully

"Sarah's Key," drama-packed in the beginning, slows down its pace after the film's big secret is revealed. It is replete with heart-wrenching moments, but those are separated by long lulls of melancholy music and somewhat irrelevant plot additions. Sarah's story is horrifying and magnetic. Julia's, when juxtaposed, is less so. The meandering timeline of Julia's journey keeps audience members on the edge of their seats, but the long-winded portrayal diminished the conviction of certain scenes. That said, both Thomas and Mayance delivered solid performances. Jackie Wei