Now Playing IN HANOVER: Drive

Directed by: Nicolas Winding RefnStarring: Gosling, Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, Albert BrooksRuntime: 100 minutesRated: R

Working off a sparse yet strong screenplay, director Nicolas Winding Refn creates a stylish and atmospheric film that holds the eyes and attention of the audience from beginning to end. Props are due in particular to Newton Thomas Sigel for the film's cinematography. The characters are silent yet endearing, thanks to strong performances by Gosling and Mulligan, who I am now hopelessly crushing on. Oh, and the synth-pop soundtrack is awesome. Matt Garczynski "Drive" achieves the perfect balance between an art-house film and a crowd-pleasing blockbuster. Carried by a phenomenal performance from Gosling, "Drive" soars in both its slow, tender moments and its graphically violent interludes. The true triumph of the film comes from taking its cliche character templates and turning them into believable characters. Of particular note is Albert Brooks' frightening (and extremely uncharacteristic) performance as a sadistic mobster. Directed spectacularly by Winding Refn, "Drive" stalls momentarily in some parts, but makes for one hell of a ride. Varun Bhuchar

Although certain scenes in "Drive" are rendered artistically, others are dry and still others are completely superfluous. The extreme violence is largely unnecessary. The character development is condensed, with little to no context or background. The soundtrack, however, is a highlight of the film ethereal and earnest, it compensates for the lack of substantiative plot. Gosling delivers a chilling performance as the cool and collected protagonist, epitomizing every lonely hero stereotype while pushing stylistic boundaries. Jackie Wei