N.J. governor endorses Romney hours before debate

DEBATE.ENDORSEMENT
DEBATE.ENDORSEMENT

To a packed audience of reporters and students who were bused to the Lebanon hotel from campus and with their wives looking adoringly from the front row, Christie and Romney took turns jabbing President Barack Obama and Romney's most formidable competition for the nomination, Gov. Rick Perry, R-Texas.

During the 20-minute long announcement, Christie threw his political weight behind Romney, declaring him the only candidate suited to defeat Obama come November.

"Mitt Romney is the man we need to lead America," Christie said.

Christie and Romney attacked Obama's Affordable Health Care Act, drawing differences between the denounced "Obamacare" and Romney's own health care plan he enacted as governor of Massachusetts.

Romney promised to repeal Obama's health care act if elected president, and drew distinctions from other candidates by stating that he is the only other politician in the GOP field who not only wants to repeal Obamacare, but is ready to propose a solution to act as an alternative to universal health care.

Romney used a question-and-answer portion after the official announcement to address recent comments made about his religion. Romney called on Perry to repudiate anti-Mormonism comments made by a pro-Perry pastor.

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.