New store offers wine tasting, classes

10.14.11.news.Wine
10.14.11.news.Wine

The concept of the store originated after visits to various wine stores around New England, where Pomerville felt that "about half the people who buy wine are apprehensive," he said. In opening The Wine Crate, Pomerville said he hopes his store can be a place "where people feel comfortable" asking questions when selecting the right bottle of wine.

Originally set to open earlier this fall, the sudden failure of the store's heating and cooling units forced Pomerville to put all wine orders on hold until the right ventilation parts arrived this week, he said. Out of all the things to go wrong, malfunctioning air conditioning units were "just something that we didn't expect," Pomerville said.

When The Wine Crate does open, however, Pomerville hopes to attract customers of varying expertise, including undergraduate and graduate students over the age of 21, he said.

On a campus where the most of the population is underage, many students interviewed by The Dartmouth said they believe the majority of The Wine Crate's customers will be permanent residents of the Upper Valley, not students.

Kenny Baclawski '12 said he will probably not frequent The Wine Crate often, but that the store will likely attract students who "do enjoy wine on campus."

When deciding on the store's selection of wines, Pomerville said he "concentrated not so much on regions but a wider range of varietal categories."

The prices of bottles will start at around $12 and work their way up to higher-end specialties. Pomerville said he hopes that frequent wine tastings at the store will encourage customers to try something to which they normally would not be exposed.

Each wine tasting will be slightly different, with wine representatives, distributors and themed and holiday tastings all adding to the variety of options offered.

"We really want to make it a place for people who like wine from all different walks of life and experiences to feel comfortable coming in and interacting," Pomerville said.

Pomerville said The Wine Crate will also offer beginner wine tasting classes to give participants an introduction to different types of wine and a chance to experience wine tasting in a comfortable setting.

Shaun Mehtani Tu'11, former co-chair of the Tuck Wine Society, said The Wine Crate will attract students interested in learning more about the intricacies of wine.

"People like something different," Metani said. "It's also within walking distance. As a former Tuck student, I see no reason why I would not try it."

For Pomerville, The Wine Crate's convenient location was a major factor in opening his business.

"If this space hadn't been available, I might not have opened up a shop in Hanover," he explained. "It's extremely important that we're right in the center of the shopping district."

Pomerville also noted that the store's location in a cellar space below Mai Thai restaurant "helps with the atmosphere."

After solidifying the location, Pomerville began the process of obtaining a liquor license, which typically takes six to eight weeks. In the state of New Hampshire, a liquor license application also requires an on-site inspection prior to approval. Before Pomerville could submit any paperwork, he was required to have all other components of his business finalized, he said.

Under state law, Pomerville is also required to order the majority of his wine through the state and pick it up at the Law Warehouse in Nashua, N.H., he said.

In accordance with state statutes, The Wine Crate must also sell products other than wine. Pommerville said his store will offer food, bottle openers, wine racks and other wine-related items.

Peter Rutledge '88, owner of Norwich Wines and Spirits, said he believes "only time will tell" as to the effect The Wine Crate will have on surrounding businesses.

"There has always been competition," he said. "So we'll have to just wait and see as far as I'm concerned."

Brenda Griffin, an employee at Stinton's Village Store on nearby Adams Street, said she does not see the new wine store as a competitor.

The Wine Crate will focus on a larger and more diverse range of wines while Stinstons is more of a "home town specialty shop," Griffin said.

While The Wine Crate is brand new, Pomerville said he had long been developing the concept of a wine store. He had considered the idea of his own wine store for four or five years.

"Everything just seemed to fall into place this time around, especially with the [convenient location]," Pomerville said.

Pomerville said he wants The Wine Crate to be a place where "anyone can come in and just interact."

In the end, selecting the perfect wine "should be about the experience," he said.