Ivies jump on ‘Occupy' bandwagon

10.25.11.news.occupy
10.25.11.news.occupy

Occupy Dartmouth, an informal student group initially established to protest the eviction of New York City's Occupy Wall Street movement, began its protest on the Green on Oct. 13 and has since relocated to the lawn in front of Collis. The group received permission for and has erected a tent in front of Collis to continue its round-the-clock occupation.

While the Dartmouth group has a "decent amount of connection with Occupy Manchester and Occupy Montpelier," it has not forged any communication with other college Occupy outposts, according to Stew Towle '12, a member of the protest.

Twelve students and members of neighboring New Hampshire and Vermont communities attended Occupy Dartmouth's general assembly meeting on Sunday. The protesters estimated that approximately 50 students and nearby community members make intermittent appearances at the group's site, and that depending on the time of day, anywhere from one to 20 protesters are present.

A major topic of Monday's daily 5 p.m. general assembly meeting was how to keep warm as fall transitions to winter.

"I think it would be very powerful to continue to protest outside," Anna Winham '14 said. "But plan B can be moving inside. Perhaps the library."

Occupy Dartmouth representatives spoke at the Afro-American Society and the Vermont Progressive Meeting on Monday evening and will present at the Dartmouth Society of Investment and Economics meeting on Wednesday, Nathan Gusdorf '12 said. The group will host a "teach-in" featuring a talk by English professor Julia Rabig at 6 p.m. on Wednesday.

Much closer to the home of the original Occupy protest, the Columbia University community has been active in showing its support for Occupy Wall Street, as 350 professors and members of the administration recently signed a petition specifically supporting Occupy Wall Street demonstrators, according to the Columbia Daily Spectator. One hundred Columbia students banded together to march down to Wall Street some skipping class in a walkout on Oct. 5, the Spectator reported.

Several Columbia students were also among the 700 protestors arrested as they marched across the Brooklyn Bridge on Oct. 1, according to the Spectator.

One state over, the enthusiasm for the Occupy movement has not yet found its way to Princeton University, according to The Daily Princetonian. Princeton junior Polly Korbel attributed Princeton students' apathy to busy schedules and divergent viewpoints, while junior Amina Yamusah blamed the difficult self-examination that participation in the movement prompts, according to The Daily Princetonian.

Students at Brown University initiated their own Occupy College Hill protest named for the university's location on Oct. 7, The Brown Daily Herald reported. Although 60 students comprise the movement's core, many more attended the teach-in that Occupy College Hill hosted on Oct. 11. During the event, Brown professors and city activists provided more than 300 audience members with a basic knowledge of the context in which Occupy Wall Street was created and continues to develop, The Herald reported.

At Harvard University, Yale University and the University of Pennsylvania, students have joined forces with their local city protests Occupy Boston, Occupy New Haven and Occupy Philadelphia.

On Oct. 11, 80 Harvard students joined the Occupy Boston rally, shouting, "This is what democracy looks like," The Harvard Crimson reported. The demonstration resulted in 129 arrests of protesters in the early hours of the following morning. At least five Harvard students and alumni were arrested, The Crimson reported.

The movements have also been a topic of discussion among Harvard students and professors, according to The Crimson. Experts at the university's Institute of Politics participated in a panel discussion about the protests to continue to facilitate critical thinking among students, The Crimson reported.

Occupy New Haven began on Oct. 15 on the New Haven Green across the street from Yale's campus, the Yale Daily News reported. Thirty tents were scattered on the green during the protest's first night, and 1,000 people participated in Occupy New Haven's initial march. A committed group of approximately 50 community members man the camp day to day, the Daily News reported.

Although some Yale students have joined the protesters on the green, others have created and joined "Occupy Occupy New Haven" to counter the protest movement, the Daily News reported. The Occupy Occupy movement, which was created by chairman of the Yale College Republicans Michael Knowles '12, took issue with Occupy New Haven's methods of enacting change, according to the Daily News.

Occupy Philadelphia began on Oct. 6, and although Facebook groups have generated some interest in creating an "Occupy Penn" protest, a student movement has yet to gain momentum, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported. Penn President Amy Gutmann voiced support for student participation in Occupy Philadelphia but said she will refrain from forming an opinion of the Occupy movement until it is more developed, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported.

The general sentiment amongst students at Penn's Wharton School of Business is not supportive of the protests, one Wharton student said, according to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Almost 200 members of the Ithaca, N.Y., community held an Occupy Wall Street protest on Oct. 6 in Ithaca, and the Occupy Cornell movement held a rally on Oct. 14 in Ho Plaza, The Cornell Daily Sun reported. The Occupy Cornell protest followed a trip by group members to join the Occupy Wall Street protests in New York City.