Iturrey: Disruptive Dining

Dartmouth students complain about almost everything. Any time College administrators alter our routine, the community gets flustered and finds itself discussing the negative aspects of the change. Most of the time, as is the case with the new BlitzMail system and the GreenPrint upgrade, the awkward transition is usually just a speed bump on the path to an improved way of life. This is not the case with the new DDS SmartChoice meal plan.

The recent implementation of the SmartChoice plan has caused students from all classes some confusion. Often, there is a dilemma over whether to purchase with DBA or a swipe, causing frustratingly long lines at the cash register There's also the issue of students settling for unhealthy eating options because of convenience or to save money, as Louis Wheatley recently expressed ("DDS's Missing Ingredient," Sept. 26). These criticisms are valid.

Yet, there's more to say about the economics of food. When considering what to eat and when, the natural inclination is to simply eat when one is hungry. A year ago, simple matters such as location and menu were decided by personal preference. This year, with the SmartChoice plan, students are instead deciding between payment option, time of day and availability.

Students who are vegetarian or pescetarian are having difficulty finding suitable food options on campus. Most substitute meals available every night consist of cheese and bread (pizza, pasta, grilled cheese, paninis, just to name a few), which, as one can image, can get extremely repetitive and unhealthy.

DDS should offer more protein choices (such as tuna steaks, tofu or soy products) that will be of nutritional value for students that are made accessible on a consistent basis. The Herbivore station in '53 Commons boasts this, yet does not offer protein every day. I always find myself headed to Herbivore with high hopes and walking away empty-handed, not willing to eat rice or couscous.

A huge part of the Dartmouth culture and of college lifestyles in general is the ability for students to get meals together. With the new meal plan, students that want to meet with friends but don't necessarily have plans to eat are unable to in the new '53 Commons. One couldn't even offer to pay for a friend's meal unless it was from their discretionary account due to the prohibition against using two swipes in the same meal period, which is highly inconvenient.

College Administrators have argued that social eating is still available in locations such as the Hop and at Collis, but to switch to these areas would require an entire group to change plans, which would in turn force students to refuse their meal swipe or instead to use it unnecessarily.

Food is a reason for social gathering. There are American holidays that are based solely on the meal we share with each other (think Thanksgiving). Throughout history, people have gathered around a table to celebrate and share their experiences and their personal thoughts with each other. Our culture and cultures around the world place great significance on the meals we share.

These meals are representative of our humanity as humans we are the only species that places importance on eating as a ritual with others, whether it be daily or once a year. And as a result of this, our social spheres expand and grow. Through sitting down at a table with our peers, we can learn about each other and the world around us. We can digest both the food we eat and the issues and ideas of our fellow students.

The SmartChoice meal plan is better described as a social disruption that poses complications for students. Our need to strategically eat based on economics, social gatherings and menu options forces students to feel limited rather than comfortable. And those interruptions to our daily routine are the reason for students to feel so helpless with the changes that DDS has imposed.

It is certain that our dining services have continued to provide great food quality and personable service. With its updated kitchens, improved seating and a modern look , it's hard not to take pride in '53 Commons. Nevertheless, DDS directors really need to chew the SmartChoice plan over to correct some of its blatant issues.