Fraternities extend over 350 bids in rush process

With a flurry of suits and ties on Webster Avenue, the fraternity rush process concluded on Sunday after lasting for two nights. Fifteen fraternities are expected to extend 364 bids to College males, according to Hunter Dray '12, Inter-Fraternity Council rush chair. Results for the number of bids allotted are not yet finalized as Bones Gate fraternity has not submitted its numbers to the IFC as of press time.

At Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity, 25 men sunk bids; Alpha Delta fraternity, 33; Beta Alpha Omega fraternity, 25; Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity, 21; Gamma Delta Chi fraternity, 13; Chi Heorot fraternity, 29; Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, 18; Phi Delta Alpha fraternity, 28; Psi Upsilon fraternity, 33; Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, 25; Sigma Nu fraternity, 9; Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, 30; Theta Delta Chi fraternity, 30; Zeta Psi fraternity, 20, according to Dray. Numbers for BG were not available by press time.

Because each house extended an average of 25 bids, the approximated total of 364 bids was calculated based on the assumption Bones Gate gave out an number of bids similar to the average, according to Dray.

The larger-than-normal enrollment in the Class of 2014 led to greater participation in the rush process, according to Michael Burbank '13, rush chair of Beta.

"We had approximately 90 guys rush Beta, about 35 shook out and now we have a pledge class of 25," Burbank said.

SAE saw 32 men shake out, a higher number than last year, according to Taylor Sipple '13, rush chair of SAE.

The IFC did not have numbers for exactly how many men participated in rush by press time.

The men's rush process is expected to stay the same and not shift towards the computerized program used throughout sorority rush, according to IFC president Kevin Niparko '12.

Niparko is a former member of The Dartmouth Senior Staff.

"I don't see it happening," Burbank said. "I like the current system and I think it works out in a way where guys end up going to places where they feel most comfortable."

Explicit quotas have not been implemented in fraternities. which is another distinction between the men's and women's rush processes, according to Dray.

"I think houses like to leave room to be flexible, but a house rarely has a pledge class over 35," Dray said.

The largest pledge classes of this year's Fall rush are Alpha Delta and Psi Upsilon, with 33 new members each.

Formal Winter rush will also occur this year, but as in recent years, it will be "up to [each house] to determine whether they'll take new members," Niparko said.

Sig Ep is planning on participating in Winter rush, according to Sig Ep president Phil Burgin-Young '12.

Chi Gam is leaving the possibility of Winter rush open in the event that there are underclassmen that the house would like to include, according to Chi Gam president Sean Schultz '12.

Schultz is a member of The Dartmouth Staff.

Beta is also still considering winter rush in order to accommodate some members of the Class of 2014 who were off for Fall term, according to Burbank.

"There is a track and field contingency [in Beta,] and we want to continue that lineage," Burbank said. "Some sophomores on the track and field team took fall off and depending on what sort of interest we see from them it could be a possibility."

SAE has "historically" not participated in Winter rush, but the decision is typically made on a year-to-year basis, according to Sipple.

The IFC is "pretty happy" with the lack of major problems or concerns that came up throughout the rush process, according to Niparko.

Some male members of the Class of 2014 had a different experience with the process, however.

"It wasn't a very well informed process and it was pretty stressful, but I think I ended up somewhere where I'm going to be very happy," Brendan Nagle '14, who accepted a bid at Zete, said. "I'm just glad it's done."