Football shuts out Lions in resounding Homecoming win

The Big Green excelled defensively on third and fourth down, holding the Lions to just three-of-15 on third down attempts and zero-of-three on fourth down. The stops enabled Dartmouth to hold possesion for more than 39 minutes, despite three of the Big Green's five scoring drives lasting less than two minutes.

An energetic crowd of 8,362 fans attended the game, and parachuters theatrically dropped onto the field to deliver the game ball. It seemed like a bad omen, however, when the usually sure-handed Shawn Abuhoff '12 fumbled the opening kickoff, giving Columbia possession at the Dartmouth 32-yard-line. But an opportunistic Big Green defense refused to budge, stopping the Lions on four straight plays to nullify the turnover.

"It doesn't affect us as a defense," linebacker Bronson Green '14, who had two interceptions in the game, said. "We're going to be put in situations where we have to step up, and we did."

The Big Green particularly frustrated Lions senior quarterback Jerry Bell, who started the game with 12 straight incompletions. Bell started in place of junior Sean Brackett, a First Team All-Ivy selection last year who missed the game due to injury. Although Columbia knew that it would be without Brackett on Saturday, Dartmouth was not sure of the quarterback's status, so the team practiced as if he would play.

"Our guys adapted," Dartmouth head coach Buddy Teevens said. "I was surprised he was out, but we've all got injured guys. It didn't really alter the gameplan at all. They're still executing their offense."

Bell finished the day completing just five of 20 passes for 36 yards, making the Big Green's recent quarterback struggles look tame in comparison. Quarterback Conner Kempe '12 returned to the starting lineup after two games on the bench, but he was frequently spelled by Greg Patton '13, who effectively ran Dartmouth's wildcat offense.

Patton didn't attempt a pass, but rushed nine times for 44 yards and two touchdown runs, helping propel the Big Green to 267 total rushing yards. Kempe, meanwhile, had one of his better days in a Dartmouth uniform, completing 15 of 24 passes for 143 yards.

"I'm very proud of him," Teevens said. "He could have gone in the tank on a couple of occasions this year, but he stayed with it. His accuracy was good, had a couple of dropped passes that would have made it look even better. The plays that were there, he executed, and that's what we needed from our quarterback."

Schwieger had another typically spectacular game, tying a career-high with three touchdowns on the ground.

"Hats off to the offensive line," Schwieger said. "It's the best game they've played this year. Ryan O'Neill ['12] probably played his best game at Dartmouth at the guard spot."

Schwieger's three rushing touchdowns gave him 23 for his career, pushing him to number two on Dartmouth's all-time list.

Dartmouth led 16-0 at halftime, but because the Big Green has had trouble closing out games over the past two seasons, the lead was by no means secure. Just five minutes into the third quarter, however, Dartmouth held a 30-0 lead, converting two Columbia fumbles into touchdowns. The defense continued its dominance from then on, holding strong on a goal-line stand in the fourth quarter to preserve the shutout.

"They did a great job," Teevens said. "We pressured the passer, tackled well and got timely turnovers. It was a very clean operation. There were a couple missed opportunities, but it was a special game for us."

Approximately 40 members of the Class of 2015 rushed the field at halftime, interfering with the Columbia band's performance. No action was taken by the numerous police officers surrounding the field to stop or reprimand the freshmen.

Although the Big Green celebrated its Homecoming win, there was a sense of unfinished business after the game. It will take more than a victory over the hapless Lions to make up for four straight losses, including two to League opponents.

Dartmouth now turns its attention to defusing an explosive Harvard offense that has averaged 46 points in its last three games. The Big Green has not defeated the Crimson (5-1, 3-0 Ivy) since 2003.

"We've got to stay hungry," Schwieger said. "Guys can't get complacent. Harvard's a tough environment to play, but we're looking forward to the challenge."

Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Saturday at Harvard Stadium.