Feiger: Show Me the Crazy

Politics are weird. Dartmouth is weird. The intersection of the two is downright bizarre.

As even the most doe-eyed '15 must have noticed, the Republican presidential candidates descended on Hanover this Tuesday for their ninth debate of the primary season. Sadly, the debate, while lively, didn't properly convey the sheer ignorance of its participants. Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., didn't claim another vaccine to be the cause of retardation and Rick Santorum put his foot in his mouth only once.

Even more upsetting, however, many Dartmouth students seemed casually impressed by speeches calling for a "return to the true America!" It was extremely frustrating to watch my peers act so flippantly about the entire process. I heard many people comment on their lack of interest, and even worse were those who did little prior research on the candidates and made snap judgments based on what they saw in the debate.

None of the candidates participating in the debate described specific policy plans (with perhaps the exception of businessman Herman Cain and his absurdly simplistic 9-9-9 plan), and all I really heard were sound bites costumed as political banter. That didn't stop students walking out of Leede Arena from commenting on how impressed they were by some of the candidates, and in particular those who also happen to have the lengthiest records of ignorant, misguided and hateful statements. I refuse to believe that Dartmouth students not only agree with those statements, but also support the candidates making them. My only possible conclusion is that these students must simply not know how far off the deep end these candidates have demonstrated themselves to be.

So I'm here to show you the crazy.

If my peers who found Gov. Rick Perry, R-Texas, impressively put together had done any research prior to yesterday's debate, they would have found that Perry might be the most outrageous of all the candidates. It's hard not to cringe while watching him claim his Christianity as a leading force in his political ideals. According to him, the BP oil spill may have been an "act of God," evolution is just a theory with gaps, and Texas might secede from the union (it's fine, Texas we don't want you much anyway).

Besides the fact that Bachmann doesn't believe carbon dioxide can be a harmful gas and that her husband runs a clinic to help turn gay people straight a mission she fully supports Bachmann finally proved her true ignorance to me on Tuesday night. I only wish students who thought she was eloquent and darling were able to witness our interaction when I asked for her opinion on a proposed state law that would prevent Dartmouth students from voting in New Hampshire elections (a law that would effectively turn New Hampshire into a wholly red state). She smiled and replied "I would have to do more research in order to properly address your question but if it's something the state government wants then I support the state's right to choose!"

I can't even get started on the rest of the candidates. From Rick Santorum, whose despicable quotes about homosexuality could fill a book, to Newt Gingrich, a hypocritical jerk if there ever was one, there aren't many stand-out choices for the GOP. And Cain, if you mention your 9-9-9 plan one more time, I'll never eat pizza again.

When I think about the Dartmouth students who blindly headed over to Beta Alpha Omega fraternity to hear Rick "I hear he's a chill guy!" Perry speak, I can't help but shudder for our campus. It's time that Dartmouth students fulfill their responsibility to be informed, thoughtful citizens not just because the national media were at our doorstep, but because it is our responsibility as students of this institution and active members of this nation. I urge you to do some research and truly hold these candidates responsible for their views. Let the 2012 campaign season truly begin.