Briefly Noted

Dartmouth linebacker Luke Hussey '11 Th'12 was named a semifinalist for the 2011 National Football Foundation National Scholar-Athlete Award, IvyLeagueSports.com reported. Brown University senior quarterback Kyle Newhall-Caballero, Yale University senior quarterback Patrick Witt and Columbia University senior offensive lineman Bob Hauschildt were also named semifinalists. The award honors senior student-athletes who excel academically and on the field, maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.2, NFF Chairman Archie Manning said in an interview with the website. Manning's sons, Peyton and Eli, both received the accolade before advancing to careers in the NFL. Of the 127 semifinalists chosen, 16 will be named finalists and will each receive an $18,000 postgraduate scholarship. One student-athlete will then receive the 2011 William V. Campbell Trophy. Hussey, who is a fifth-year player for the Big Green, graduated Phi Beta Kappa and summa cum laude from the College with a degree in engineering sciences.

Dartmouth ranked fourth in the 2012 Eastern College Athletic Conference preseason hockey media poll and fifth in the ECAC coaches' poll, the organization announced on Wednesday. In both polls, Yale University, Union College and Cornell University placed first, second and third, respectively. Big Green goalie James Mello '12 was also named to the media and coaches' preseason all-conference teams, receiving 28 out of 38 votes in the media poll. Last year, Dartmouth finished third in the ECAC Championship tournament after ranking sixth in both preseason polls. The Big Green opens play against the University of Western Ontario in an exhibition match on Oct. 22, before meeting Brown University and Yale in the Ivy Shootout in Hanover during the last weekend of October. ECAC play begins on Nov. 4, when Dartmouth plays Quinnipiac University and Princeton University.

Several Ivy League players are currently competing at the nine-day Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American Championships, which began on Saturday. Seven League players are playing at the men's tournament in Tulsa, Okla., while 10 women from the conference traveled to Pacific Palisades, Calif., for the women's competition. Dartmouth players did not qualify to compete on either the men or women's side. Women from the Yale University, Princeton University, Brown University and Columbia University squads earned draws, while the League men competing all hail from Yale, Princeton or Harvard University. Bulldog junior Elizabeth Epstein is the only League female to earn a berth in the singles qualifying draws.