Briefly Noted

The Dartmouth men's tennis team continued its impressive play this weekend at the ITA Northeast Regional tournament. Five of the team's six single players, as well as two double teams, advanced to the 32-player round. Brandon DeBot '14, Chris Kipouras '15 and Cameron Ghorbani '14 all upset their first round opponents to move on to the smaller bracket. Kipouras and Ghorbani each needed three sets to finish off their opponents, while DeBot cruised past Princeton University sophomore Augie Bloom, 6-2, 6-4. Dartmouth's second-seeded single players, Xander Centenari '13 and Michael Laser '12, also advanced. The Big Green's fifth-seeded double team of Centenari and Laser won their opening match, setting up a showdown with ninth-seeded Princeton. The six-day event, which is hosted by Cornell University this year, finishes on Tuesday.

The Shrine Maple Sugar Bowl Game, an annual event benefiting the Shriners Hospitals for Children, will return to Dartmouth following a three-year hiatus, Dartmouthsports.com announced on Thursday. Since its inception in 1954, the football game has raised over $4 million, making it the third-most profitable Shrine football game in the country. Thirty-six graduated high school seniors from Vermont and New Hampshire will be selected to face off in the intra-state charity event in August 2012. "I'm very excited about the revival of Dartmouth's half-century tradition of hosting the Shrine Maple Sugar Bowl Game," College President Jim Yong Kim said in an interview with Dartmouthsports.com. "It gives us a great chance, both as an institution and as individual employees, to show support for our regional community." Proceeds from the event will benefit Shriners Hospitals locations in Boston and Springfield, Mass., and Montreal, Canada. Shriners Hospitals care for children with unique health needs.

The University of Pennsylvania football team secured its 17th consecutive Ivy League win in a nationally-televises game in front of a sellout crowd on Saturday against Columbia University. Penn's League-win streak is tied for the second longest of all time. Junior quarterback Billy Ragone and the visiting Quakers scored a touchdown in the final minute to beat the Lions during Columbia's homecoming game, 27-20. The Quakers (3-2, 2-0 Ivy) relied on junior running back Brandon Colavita's 85 rushing yards and key defensive and special teams play to overcome a slow start. Columbia (0-5, 0-2 Ivy), despite playing well for most of the game, remains winless in the season. The current record for consecutive wins, also set by Penn, is 20 wins. The Quakers play against Yale University next weekend in a matchup of undefeated League teams.