Daily Debriefing

University of New Hampshire president Mark Huddleston announced Monday that UNH would stop selling energy drinks on campus, but then reneged on his statement the same day, Inside Higher Ed reported. The sale of energy drinks would be banned on campus in an effort to make UNH the "healthiest campus community in the country," Huddleston's initial announcement stated. The release also noted a recent incident in which a student was hospitalized after consuming energy drinks, according to Inside Higher Ed. A second release, however, halted the ban and stated that Huddleston wanted to involve students more in the decision and cited inconclusive evidence relating to the drinks' health effects. A.J. Coukos, UNH student body president, said the ban might have overstepped the university's right to limit students' choices, according to Inside Higher Ed. Coukos also said the ban would not stop students from buying energy drinks at a nearby off-campus store, Inside Higher Ed reported.

At least six high school students and one college undergraduate were charged in an SAT cheating scam, the Associated Press reported. The high school students allegedly spent between $1,500 and $2,500 to have Sam Eshaghoff, an Emory University student who graduated from Great Neck North High School in 2010, to take the SAT for them. Eshaghoff was charged with scheming to defraud, criminal impersonation and falsifying business records, according to the AP. The six accused high school students, who also attended Great Neck North, were investigated when teachers at Great Neck North heard rumors that students had paid for someone to take the SAT for them, the AP reported. Administrators later named the six students, noting that their SAT scores did not reflect their overall academic performances, the prosecutor said in an interview with the AP.

An estimated $4.4 billion nanotechnology venture will partner the State University of New York with five technology companies in an initiative to invent the "next generation of computer chips," The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. Gov. Andrew Cuomo, D-N.Y., chose the five firms IBM, Samsung, Intel, Global Foundries and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Ltd. to advance New York's standing in an international effort to develop state-of-the-art hardware, according to The Chronicle. A press release from the governor's office said the venture would create or help maintain almost 7,000 jobs in New York. Approximately 1,900 construction positions will be created at the SUNY Institute of Technology in Utica and the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering at SUNY Albany, while 2,500 high-technology jobs will be created at an IBM site and three other SUNY campuses, The Chronicle reported.