Hikers, supporters gear up for the 50

This weekend, 32 Dartmouth students will embark on a 24-hour expedition along the hills of New Hampshire, as they attempt "the 50," a recent Dartmouth tradition organized by the Dartmouth Outing Club. Participants will hike 53.6 miles along the Appalachian Trail, beginning in Hanover and ending at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge.

Teams consisting of three or four students each will start the hike Friday around 1 p.m. and have until 9 p.m. tomorrow to finish. Most teams are expected to finish within 24 hours, according to the event's organizers.

"People go in groups of three or four, and teams will stay together the entire time," Trevor Nibbi '13, one of the event's student organizers, said. "Most teams are pretty spread out normally."

Along the way, students will be able to stop at five different support stations run by student volunteers. These stations provide food as well as medical assistance and emotional support.

"It's the stations' job to make sure that everyone's having a good time and that everything's going well," Nibbi said.

Nibbi also said that each station has a different theme, with volunteers dressed in flair to match each particular theme, adding to the festive atmosphere of the event.

One favorite station from past years' 50 had a Hogwarts-theme, including wands made out of sparklers and a staged battle between characters. Another station, themed as the Emerald City, featured a "Yellow Brick Road" to guide hikers onward, The Dartmouth previously reported.

Nibbi, Remy Franklin '13 and John Thompson '13 are coordinating the event, overseeing volunteers, hikers and logistics, respectively. The three organizers hope to provide a unique and unforgettable experience for everyone involved, according to Nibbi.

"It's great during sophomore Summer because it's basically all people you know," Nibbi said. "It's not like a typical DOC trip it's unique in that you get a whole range of people from across campus who want to do it."

Hikers interviewed by The Dartmouth expressed both enthusiasm and anxiety about the daunting trip ahead of them.

"Right now I'm really excited," Anthony Mullen '13 said. "Once I start doing it, I'll probably get more nervous. But right now I'm really pumped for it."

Jacob Evanter '13 said he was optimistic but cautious about the upcoming event.

"I'm looking forward to getting close with my fellow walkers and getting blisters on my feet," Evanter said. "Around mile 30 I may change my view about it entirely, but how bad can it be?"

After the hike, students will gather at the Mount Moosilauke Ravine Lodge before heading back to campus. Nibbi said he thought regrouping at the Lodge would be one of the trip's highlights.

"I'm excited for when everyone meets up and gets wired from the exhaustion," he said. "The environment will match the culmination of how big an experience it will be for some people."

The same number of hikers also participated in the 50 last summer, The Dartmouth previously reported. Spots are limited, so the application process can become competitive.

Problems presented by hiking in the summer include insects and heat, though students have been known to get lost while hiking the 50 in all seasons, The Dartmouth previously reported.