Vandewalle selected to advise U.N. team

Government professor Dirk Vandewalle was appointed political advisor to United Nations Special Advisor Ian Martin and will help shape U.N. arrangements for post-conflict Libya, according to a College press release.

Throughout July, Vandewalle will work alongside Martin to aid U.N. departments on drafting proposals to address the Libyan political climate. Once the proposals have been compiled, he will provide political expertise to the U.N. team present in Libya, according to the release.

"As an academic specializing in Libya, the chance to be involved in shaping the U.N.'s future involvement in a country that I know so intimately has been a tremendous privilege and quite a challenge," Vandewalle said in the release. "Working at the U.N. and being asked to provide insightful advice, under very tight deadlines, and with literally dozens of people from around the world providing multiple reports has been a logistical feat that requires long hours and a high level of interpersonal skills."

Government professor emeritus Nelson Kasfir said that Vandewalle's appointment reflects well on U.N. decision making and the role of academia in policy.

"It's good that academia can have people available to be helpful in situations like these," Kasfir said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "There aren't many specialists on Libya like [Vandewalle]."

Vandewalle's knowledge and expertise in Libyan history and politics make him a unique and valuable resource to the U.N., Kasfir said.

"He is doing the U.N. a very great service, and it speaks well of them that they found him, as often people who know the most about certain issues are not considered," he said.

Vandewalle's understanding of the current conflict between rebel groups and the government of Muammar el-Qaddafi is highly respected in the academic community, according to Paul Sullivan, professor of security studies and science, technology and international affairs at Georgetown University, The Dartmouth previously reported.

In February, Libyan citizens revolted against Qaddafi's 42-year reign. Vandewalle testified on the conflict before the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee in April, according to the release.

Vandewalle published "A History of Modern Libya" in 2006 and "was among the few Western scholars" to travel to Libya at the time of Qaddafi's rise to power in 1969, according to the Cambridge University Press.

Since February, general unrest among the Libyan population has spread from Benghazi to the capital of Tripoli and across the country, according to The New York Times. In response, Qaddafi has led an intensely violent governmental reaction, causing his opposition to counter him with a transitional government headed by an improvised army, The Times reported.

The U.N. Security Council voted to authorize military action after Qaddafi's troops gained dangerous advances over the rebel forces. American and European forces began a campaign of attacks against Qaddafi's government on March 19, and have continued these increasingly controversial strikes ever since.

Although Qaddafi has been forced to make important concessions to rebel forces and has suffered due to the NATO strikes, Washington politicians are deeply torn over the continuation of American involvement in the effort, The Times reported.

Academics and experts play an especially important advising role during times of political unrest or transition, Vandewalle said in a previous interview with The Dartmouth.