Strong dies after lifetime of service

Jonathan Strong '56 Tu'59, an active member of the Dartmouth community and leader in numerous corporate and nonprofit organizations, died June 11 in Newton, Mass. at the age of 77. Strong grew up in Hanover and attended Hanover High School before attending Dartmouth.

Strong died of an acute infection complicated by a pre-existing condition, according to the Boston Globe.

Strong hailed from a long line of Dartmouth graduates. His great-grandfather, Elnathan Strong, graduated as a member of the Class of 1852. His father, Robert C. Strong, was dean of administration and a graduate of the Class of 1924.

Strong's brother Thomas Strong said that the family's connection to Dartmouth was a major force in his and his brother's lives.

"We were all gung-ho for the Big Green without much thought of anything else," he said. "The love of the College seems to be in the blood of our family."

After graduating from Dartmouth, Jonathan Strong joined the United States Marine Corps, training at the Marine base in Quantico, Va., and at other government facilities. He served on active duty for two years before joining the reserve forces and finally retiring with the rank of major. Strong graduated from the Tuck School of Business in 1959 and went on to earn his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1962.

Strong's sister, Elizabeth Kent '77, recalled how Strong gained the respect of his community through his numerous accomplishments. He was extremely involved in the legal community, working as a partner at the Boston firm Hill and Barrow, where he specialized in trusts and estate planning. He also served as editor of the Massachusetts Trust and Will Manual. While living in Wayland, Mass., with his wife Sonja, Strong served on the Town Finance Committee for nine years.

Strong was an active member of the Church of the Holy Spirit in Wayland, where he participated as a lay reader, usher and treasurer. He also served on numerous philanthropic boards, including the Salvation Army Advisory Board for 28 years, and as trustee of the Ludcke Foundation and the Newton Wellesley Hospital.

Throughout his adult life, Strong continued to contribute to the Dartmouth community. A lifelong member of the Dartmouth Outing Club, Strong was an avid outdoorsman, taking part in activities like fishing, hunting, hiking and camping. He served as secretary of the Dartmouth Alumni Association of Eastern Massachusetts, as secretary of the Tuck Alumni Association of Boston and as a member of the executive committee of the Class of 1956. In 1981, he concluded his fourth year on the Dartmouth Alumni Council by serving as the organization's president. Strong was also the president of the Dartmouth Educational Association for many years.

Strong also led several efforts to encourage alumni donations, such as the Campaign for Dartmouth. In 1984, Strong's numerous contributions to Dartmouth earned him the Dartmouth Alumni Award. The citation for this award commended Jonathan for his "qualities of ability and caring that induce others to call upon [him] for leadership and services for the public good," and for handling his responsibilities with "good cheer and rare effectiveness."

Kent said her brother was "a great friend to all," recounting how the Bishop presiding over Strong's funeral referred to him as "Tiny Strong," one of the many nicknames bestowed on Strong by his friends and family.