Roemer announces presidential campaign

Former Louisiana Gov. Buddy Roemer announced his candidacy for president of the United States this morning at a press conference in the Hanover Inn.

"Today I run for president of the United States of America," he said. "I run to prepare America to grow jobs again, beginning with our elimination of our tolerance for unfair foreign trade practices."

Along with unfair trade practices, the "unmentioned" problem of special interest campaign donations will be a central focus of his campaign platform, he said.

"We're a nation at risk," Roemer said. He added that neither President Barack Obama nor any other Republican candidate is willing to address either of the two issues.

"One hundred dollar limit, no PAC money, full disclosure," Roemer said regarding his campaign's donation policy. "No one else can solve these two problems because they need the special interest money. All I need is you."

Roemer criticized American corporations' current practice of outsourcing labor overseas to avoid federal taxes, as well as the nation's excessive dependence on borrowed money, which he said has caused the economy to "sink under a mountain of debt."

Roemer's announcement coincides with his presentation in the Summer term lecture series "Leading Voices in Politics and Policy," which will be held today at 4:30 p.m. in Moore Auditorium in the Hopkins Center for the Arts.

"I can't think of a better place in New Hampshire to start," he said. "It's a great university."