DDS Detective

I love summer fruits as much as the next person, but I found it more than a little depressing when I pointed out the empty apple crates under the Collis stir fry line to the manager, only to find out that apples will not be showing up in the dining halls until late August. They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, so I can only conclude that the disappearance of apples from Collis is basically a money-making ploy by the doctors at DHMC. Fortunately, the man hasn't totally got us down there is still local applesauce in the fridge.

Therefore, this week's DDS Detective, a moist apple cinnamon cake, is a tribute to the delicious fruit that I miss all too dearly during the summer.

1. At Collis, get a piece of tea bread (avoid chocolate flavors go for as plain a flavor as you can find I like poppy seed or pear cardamom) and put it on a plate.
  2. Pour some soy milk from the smoothie bar on the plate so it soaks the tea bread.
  3. Grab an applesauce cup from the fridge.
  4. Microwave the tea bread for one minute.
  5. Top the tea bread with applesauce.
  6. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
  7. Garnish with ice cream to taste.

If there's one thing I have learned from all of this, it is that the song, "Big Yellow Taxi" is actually all about fall fruits. You really don't know what you've got til it's gone. Until the fall, my dear apple. We had a good run.