Young appointed vice president for communication

Roderic Olvera Young will serve as the vice president for communications at the College, according to a College press release. Young, who currently works as chair of the Reputation Management Practice at the communication firm TMG Strategies/MSL Group, will assume his role on June 10, the press release stated.

As vice president of communications, Young will manage the Office of Public Affairs and work with College administrators in conveying their goals to Dartmouth students, faculty members and alumni, according to the release.

In his work at the College, Young with report directly to Senior Vice President for Advancement Carrie Pelzel, the press release stated.

Young's appointment follows a nation-wide search for candidates to fill the position, spearheaded by the search committee chair and physics and astronomy professor Marcelo Gleiser. Chief of Staff David Spalding, Tuck School of Business Dean Paul Danos, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Maria Laskaris, Associate Vice President for Development Thomas Herbert and Jim Badenhausen'87, a partner at the communications firm Robinson Lerer & Montgomery, also served on the search committee, according to the release.

Young previously served as press secretary for NASA and spent six years as press secretary for former Rep. Esteban Torres, D-Calif., the press release stated.