Intramural softball off to slow start

Spring in Hanover typically includes afternoons spent lying on the Green, swimming in the Connecticut River and, for many students, taking advantage of good weather by staying physically active outdoors. This year's unusually long winter, however, coupled with consistent rain once temperatures finally started rising, has put a damper on many traditional springtime activities, including intramural softball.

The weather has hit IM sports especially hard because games are played mostly on weekends, making it difficult to reschedule a rained-out contest. Softball organizers have struggled to plan the matchups since nearby Garipay Field where all IM softball games are played must completely dry out before it can be used. Teams have only been able to compete for three days this term, according to players interviewed by The Dartmouth.

"We've only had one game so far," Ali Herdeg '11, captain of the co-ed team Let Casper Drive, said. "We need to wait for the fields to dry. We're moving straight to a tournament instead and we're just hoping it doesn't rain during the tournament."

Although the weather has put a damper on the sport, players have attempted to make the best out of the situation.

"Given the circumstances, I think it's the best option that's available," Peter Hill '13, who is playing on two teams, said.

Still, there is a silver lining to the inconvenient weather, as the lack of remaining possible game days means the season will now end in a climactic tournament. Due to the new format, players expect an added level of excitement surrounding the end of the IM season, Andrew Purpura '11, Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity A team captain, said.

Dartmouth's IM softball structure features the Co-ed Recreational League and two men's leagues the Moosilauke League and the more competitive Granite League.

Although IM sports offer a chance for former high school student-athletes to remain competitive, they also provide an opportunity to participate in organized sports without the demands of a varsity or club team, according to several IM players interviewed by The Dartmouth.

"It's a pretty laid-back environment," Hill, who plays on teams in both the Granite and Co-Rec Leagues, said. "You can still play a sport, but no one gets too into it or gets too upset given the nature of softball."

Purpura added that the sport allows players of varying abilities to compete on the same level.

"Slow pitch softball is pretty accessible for everyone, but can also get sort of competitive," he said. "In the end, all of the games are fun and it's always great to get a bunch of people organized and playing on a weekend."

While a background in baseball or softball is helpful in the more competitive leagues, it is not a requirement for joining a team. Herdeg, Purpura and Hill all said their teams are comprised of members of their respective Greek organizations or of their close friends.

IM softball also has its share of memorable moments, allowing players to interact with fellow students in environments outside of the classroom or more typical campus activities.

"Last year, I was captain of my team and I had to leave campus early, so I had to miss a playoff game," Herdeg said. "I organized enough people to go to the game. I was told they won over blitz, so I was trying to make sure we had enough people for our next game. I was blitzing other teams to make sure we had enough players. I was getting worried, because no one ever got back to me. It turns out they hadn't actually won the game."

The sport also gives lesser athletes a shot at glory, while bringing even the most established stars back down to earth.

"Our second baseman on one of my teams this year was on the football team for four years," Hill said. "He fell over twice trying to get two routine ground balls and was replaced by a girl, who proceeded to play a lot better than he did."