Daily Debriefing

Princeton University's Working Group on Campus Social and Residential Life recommended that the university prohibit students from joining Greek organizations until their sophomore year and proposed the suspension of organizations that conduct rush for freshmen, The Daily Princetonian reported. The group, established by Princeton President Shirley Tilghman last September, encouraged the university to more aggressively punish groups that partake in hazing activities. Since most hazing is conducted by sophomores instead of upperclassmen, preventing students from rushing until their sophomore year may reduce hazing incidents, according to The Princetonian. The group also expressed concern that Greek organizations pressure freshmen into rushing, which may limit their later social options on campus. Greek organizations, which are not officially recognized by Princeton, will continue to be banned from using campus facilities and resources, The Princetonian reported.

Amidst budget concerns, Brown University President Ruth Simmons announced that the school will not cut any of its varsity athletic programs this academic year, The Brown Daily Herald reported on Saturday. Brown's Athletics Review Committee had previously recommended eliminating the men's and women's fencing teams, the men's wrestling team and the women's ski team due to concerns regarding the cost of infrastructure, travel, salaries and gender equity. Athletic coaches for the respective programs praised Simmons' decision to delay potential cuts until the fall, explaining that eliminating any teams this spring would unfairly disadvantage current students and admitted athletic recruits. Simmons will still recommend this month that Brown reserve fewer spots for recruited athletes, improve student financial aid, increase coaching and athletic staff salaries and fundraise for the athletic program's "most urgent additional needs," The Herald reported.

Students from families earning less than $100,000 dollars per year experience college differently than peers whose families earn above $200,000 annually, according to a recent report that evaluates student behaviors pertaining to costs and affordability at public research institutions across the country. The report, which examined the behavior of over 130,000 students, found that students from the former category spend less on books, enroll in more classes per term, are less likely to study abroad, are more likely to apply for financial aid and have a higher tendency to skip a large number of meals. Universities should be concerned by some cost-cutting behaviors, which may negatively impact students' academic success and overall well-being, the report said. The study, "Wealth and the Undergraduate Experience at Large Public Research Universities," was presented at the Student Experience in the Research University Symposium on Saturday, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported.