Daily Debriefing

Tuck School of Business Dean Paul Danos was re-appointed to a fifth four-year term yesterday, according to an email sent to Tuck students, staff and faculty members by Provost Carol Folt. Danos's re-appointment followed a complete review of the his previous term of service, and the decision came with "overwhelming support" from the Tuck community, Folt said. During his time in office, Danos was responsible for recruiting renowned faculty members, establishing the Center for Leadership and introducing Research-to-Practice seminars, according to the email. Under his leadership, a greater percentage of Tuck graduates have received employment by the time of graduation, the email said. Tuck's reputation has also improved internationally under Danos' purview, according to Folt.

Concealed handgun license holders will be permitted to bring weapons into public Texan university classrooms and buildings, the Associated Press reported Monday. Republican members of Texas' state Senate approved a measure that state Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, argued that would allow students to defend themselves in dangerous situations. Survivors of the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings gave testimonies at the May 9 hearings. Critics of the bill, such as State Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo, expressed concerns that police responding to emergency calls would have to deal with multiple students armed with handguns. University of Texas System Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa sent a letter to Gov. Rick Perry, R-Texas, and state legislators explaining university officials' concerns that the presence of guns on campus would increase rates of suicide and crime, according to the AP.

Western universities that are developing international branch campuses may not experience as much demand for the facilities at the new locations as college officials originally anticipated, according to a study conducted by the China Market Research Group, Inside Higher Ed reported. Duke University which is working with Wuhan University in China to establish a university that would grant Duke degrees commissioned the study, which surveyed 50 undergraduates at four Chinese institutions about their willingness to attend a management studies graduate program, which is the first degree program to be offered at Duke's China campus, according to Inside Higher Ed. Only 10 percent of the students said they would consider attending the program immediately following graduation. Sixteen percent of students, however, said they would consider the program if they would have the opportunity to partake in a two-month study in the United States. The researchers concluded that there is high international demand for Western universities because students are seeking the chance to attend a university that would provide them with an alternative cultural experience, and that many students do not believe that international branches of Western universities will offer the same quality of education, Inside Higher Ed reported.