Daily Debriefing

Nine Dartmouth Medical School students have been named New Hampshire-Vermont Albert Schweitzer Fellows, according to a DMS press release. The DMS students who received fellowships Kirsten Orloff '10, Jyothi Ravindra '04, Whitney Hitchcock, Christine Dehnert, Cindy Tsai, Kevin McNerney, Brenda Ratemo, Edmund Tsui and Sandolsam Cha will lead a variety of health-related service projects for underprivileged communities from 2011 to 2012. The projects include a vision screening test for uninsured adults, a substance abuse education program, a tutoring service for students learning English as a second language and several nutrition and fitness education programs at family and daycare centers, according to the press release.

Following a $225 million donation, the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine will be renamed the Raymond and Ruth Perelman School of Medicine after its recent benefactors, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported. The donation is the largest ever given to an American medical school. Raymond Perelman graduated from the Wharton School of Business in 1940. The gift will establish a permanent endowment for the school and allow it to increase financial aid by 20 percent starting with the class of 2012. The Perelmans' donation sped the completion of the Penn Making History Campaign, which planned to raise $3.5 billion by 2013, 95 percent of which has been raised already, according to The Pennsylvanian. The Perelmans gave $25 million in 2005 to create the Ruth and Raymond Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine, endowed an internal medicine professorship and have also donated to the Kimmel Center and Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Pennsylvanian reported.

After piloting an alumni interview program for three years, Stanford University will offer interviews with trained alums as an optional part of the freshman application, according to a Stanford press release. Stanford's Faculty Senate Committee on Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid approved the use of interviews as part of the application process in April. Richard Shaw, dean of undergraduate admissions and financial aid, said the interviewer will evaluate the applicant as well as provide the applicant with information about the university, according to press release. Interviews will be conducted in the 12 areas used in the pilot program Virginia; New York City; Philadelphia; Minneapolis and St. Paul; London; Denver; Atlanta; Raleigh and Durham, N.C.; Maryland; Portland, Ore.; Massachusetts; and Washington, D.C. as well as the proposed locations of Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Oregon, Minnesota, Chicago and Singapore. Interviews will not be available for all applicants, and applications will be considered complete with or without an interview, according to the press release.