Daily Debriefing

In the 23rd installment of the Presidential Lecture Series, comparative literature professor Lynn Higgins discussed her forthcoming book on filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier as well as her analysis of literature and film about France during World War II. In the Tuesday lecture, entitled "The Powers of Fiction," Higgins discussed the effect of German occupation on French writers and film makers. Higgins chairs the Department of French and Italian at Dartmouth and is an Israel Evans Professor in Oratory and Belles Lettres. The Presidential Lecture Series, which was established in 1987, honors the accomplishments of distinguished Dartmouth faculty, according to a Dartmouth College Press Release. "The Powers of Fiction" took place in Dartmouth Hall.

Amid efforts to increase colleges' adherence to federal crime reporting laws, the U.S. Department of Education concluded that the the University of Vermont, University of Northern Iowa and Washington State University violated the Clery Act, which requires institutions to record crime data and report such statistics to students and employees, Inside Higher Ed reported. UVM and Northern Iowa failed to accurately report their crime statistics and distribute campus safety reports as required by federal regulations, while Washington State University did not adequately report sex crime statistics or include required statistics in its annual reports. The findings were released to the Education Department's Administrative Actions and Appeals Division, which will issue sanctions of up to $27,500 per infraction, according to Inside Higher Ed.

Dean of Yale College Mary Miller announced sanctions on Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, according to the Yale Daily News. DKE pledges were instructed to shout phrases like "No means yes, yes means anal" during a controversial October incident, the News reported. This incident led 16 Yale University students to file a complaint through Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights, asserting that the university violated Title IX regulations. The sanctions include a five-year ban prohibiting the fraternity from pursuing new member recruitment or holding events on campus, the News reported. Yale's Executive Committee found that the fraternity "threatened and intimidated others" and violated university policy regarding "harassment, coercion or intimidation," Miller said in a campus-wide email. Miller also confirmed that the committee asked the DKE national organization to suspend the Yale chapter for five years. Individual sanctions were also taken against various fraternity members for violating Undergraduate Regulations, the News reported.