Daily Debriefing

In the last Student Assembly meeting of the term attended by six students, three of whom were elected officers Student Body President Max Yoeli '12 outlined the issues he will discuss with College President Jim Yong Kim and Chief of Staff David Spalding in his first meeting with Kim on Friday. Yoeli said he will focus on four major areas in the meeting creating a freshman male mentoring program, making the Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps an official Dartmouth-sponsored program rather than having it run through Norwich University, ensuring that the College administration remains flexible about the SmartChoice dining plan and increasing the scope of Green Team and reworking College alcohol policies. Yoeli said the mentoring program would be called "Men's Link Up" and that it would help send positive messages to freshman males when they are first on campus and "more impressionable." Students in attendance suggested that the Assembly should focus on distributing cards outlining student rights with respect to Hanover Police and alcohol-related crimes, and should also work toward allowing students to use the Non-Recording Option in government and economics classes.

Annual salary earnings are higher or lower depending on the employee's undergraduate major, according to a report released by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce. The report, which is based on a study of 171 different college majors, analyzed the earning differences between majors and found that counseling-psychology majors earn the least with a median annual income of $29,000 and petroleum-engineering majors earn the most at $120,000, according to The Chronicle. The report also shows substantial earning discrepancies based on employees' race and gender. Men earn more than women in every subset of majors, and white workers earn more than minorities in 10 out of the 15 groups of majors, The Chronicle reported. The median salary for economics majors are $70,000, while general education majors make $42,000 on average. The report does not contain data for workers with associate degrees, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Top research universities in the United States significantly expanded research space for science and engineering fields in 2008 and 2009, according to a report released by the National Science Foundation. This expansion follows a trend of delayed growth that reached its slowest point in 2006 and 2007, possibly due to financial issues and the cost of construction materials. The report, which included data from 495 research universities, shows that biological and biomedical research space experienced a 12 percent increase in 2008 and 2009, the most of any academic field, while social sciences saw net research space decrease. The report also predicts that the trend in research space construction growth will continue in 2010 and 2011.