Daily Debriefing

Chi Gamma Epsilon's physical plant was spray-painted with the words "no means yes, and yes means anal" and "rape" as well as other obscenities late Wednesday evening or during the early morning hours of Thursday, according to a Thursday email sent to fraternity and sorority presidents by Chi Gam president Sean Schultz '12 and obtained by The Dartmouth. After discovering the graffiti on the outside of the fraternity house, Schultz contacted Safety and Security regarding the vandalism, he said in an interview with The Dartmouth. Several other fraternities including Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, Gamma Delta Chi fraternity and Theta Delta Chi fraternity were also vandalized with similar profanities. The word "rufies" [sic] was spray-painted onto the exterior of GDX, and the word "rape" was spray-painted onto Theta Delt. Hanover Police informed the fraternities that had been vandalized that officers caught the perpetrators on Thursday evening, Alpha Chi president Eric Sussman '12 said in an email to The Dartmouth. Justin Anderson, director of media relations for the College, declined to comment on the incident, citing the ongoing investigation.

Elizabeth Kirk, an associate librarian for information resources at the College, was chosen to join a national research team that will publish advice for innovation-seeking libraries, according to a College press release. The team will write a series of publications offering business planning models that academic libraries can use as they seek to integrate new services like data management and publishing. The team which also includes a representative from Pennsylvania State University, North Dakota State University, the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and the world's largest library cooperative, OCLC will publish its research from Fall 2011 through August 2012 and will also offer advice about procuring the requisite resources to offer additional services, according to the release.

Yale University will establish a Naval Reserve Officer's Training Corps unit in Fall 2012 after a 40-year absence, the Yale Daily News reported. Yale President Richard Levin signed a formal agreement on Thursday to allow an ROTC unit back on campus that will also be able to enroll students from other schools. Yale began discussions with ROTC representatives after Congress repealed the "don't ask, don't tell" policy last December, according to the News. Dartmouth College was forced to eliminate its ROTC program after 80 students stormed Parkhurst in 1969 in an anti-ROTC protest, The Dartmouth previously reported. After ROTC returned to the College as a satellite of the program at Norwich University, faculty members voted unsuccessfully to eliminate the program in 1994 due to discrimination against homosexual service members.