Retirees flock to Hanover for classes

04.20.11.news.hanoverretirementcommunity_aka_oldpeople

"It was a guerrilla war, you fought wherever you were," Marder said. "I'm taking the class because I want to know why I was there."

Marder, who has audited over 10 courses at the College, moved to Hanover with his wife in 2002. He said that while Hanover is a youthful college community, it is also a charming and welcoming New England town "perfect" for retirees.

Hanover was named the country's second "Best Place to Retire" by CNN's Money Magazine last fall. Approximately 11 percent of Hanover residents are over the age of 65, according to the 2010 U.S. Census.

"Many adults find Hanover an attractive place to retire because this area has a lot to offer," David Urso, marketing director for Kendal at Hanover retirement community, said. "Our residential community has a healthy wait list, and I think that really reflects the popularity of Hanover and the greater area."

The beautiful environment, College-sponsored programs, "exceptional" medical services at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and wealth of cultural opportunities in the area are among Hanover's "great draws," Urso said.

"One of the best things I can do here is take classes through the College," Pauline Kislik, a retired West Lebanon resident, said. "I've audited several classes in the classics and history departments and it's just so stimulating. I love that I can establish a relationship with the most important part of this town the College."

Kislik, who is currently auditing History of Medieval France, moved to Hanover with her husband in 2005. In addition to auditing classes at the College, Kislik has also taken several courses through the Institute for Lifelong Education at Dartmouth.

ILEAD is a continued learning program for community members interested in exploring a wide range of academic subjects, according to ILEAD treasurer Martin Blumberg.

"Currently there are nearly 1,500 members involved in ILEAD," Blumberg said. "We provide opportunities for members, which includes mostly retirees, to explore fields that interest them."

Over 20 years old, the program offers courses in a variety of subject matters throughout the year. ILEAD also sponsors a summer lecture series and several "study-travel" programs around the world, Blumberg said.

"For example, I'm currently taking a class on assessing foreign policy issues for the Obama administration," Blumberg said. "And there are a great number of Hanover residents involved in our programs."

Nearly half of the 400 residents living in Kendal have been involved with ILEAD programs, according to Urso.

Hanover's cultural and arts offerings have also attracted many individuals to the town.

One retiree who identified himself as Sam chose to retire in Hanover six years ago after spending many childhood summers in the Upper Valley area.

"I love the culture here," he said. "There is always something to do the opera, concerts, the Hood Museum and the Howe Library. I came to Hanover because I was tired of city life and now I'm living in one of the most beautiful places."

Chrysanthi Bien, chair of the Hanover Senior Citizen Advisory Committee, also said she appreciates the wide variety of opportunities available to her in Hanover. Bien co-wrote a Greek language workbook with French and Italian professor John Rassias that was published by the College in 2004.

"I take advantage of everything here," Bien said. "I've been living in Hanover since 1961 and it's been fantastic. I know many of us love the fact that here you can see the opera for $20 compared to spending $200 in New York or Boston to see the same show."

The Hanover Senior Center is also a popular resource for retirees, according to Bien, who organizes events for the center.

Several individuals interviewed by The Dartmouth cited benefits apart from the College as reasons to retire in Hanover.

"Relatively speaking, the local economy has been doing well and the housing market is strong," Urso said. "When the unemployment rate is about 4 percent here compared to 10 percent nationally, you know good things are happening in Hanover."

Safety and availability of transportation services like Advanced Transit were also listed among the town's attractive features.

"There's a big, comfortable village feel here with familiar faces," Bien said. "It's also a wonderful place for children."

Evelyn Laskaris, a retiree who lives in Hanover six months of the year and mother of Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Maria Laskaris, also said she feels well embedded in the town's community.

"The people here are so kind," Evelyn Laskaris said. "Hanover should definitely have been ranked number one for this reason."