Daily Debriefing

Christian Brandt '12 will receive up to $30,000 following his selection as a 2011 Harry S. Truman Scholar, according to a College press release. The scholarship application includes a public policy proposal, in which Brandt an anthropology major focused on homelessness, Brandt said in an interview with The Dartmouth. Although Brandt has not taken any public policy classes at the College, he said he drew on his anthropological knowledge to improve "job training services" for the homeless in his proposal. Brandt said that public job training services for homeless people are designed for the "average person," and do not consider a myriad of other factors that homeless people face, such as drug addiction, mental illness and lack of a permanent address. For his public policy proposal, Brant used ethnographic research on local homeless populations and applied it to existing public policy proposals to improve them. The scholarship, which goes to college juniors, requires that recipients pursue graduate studies following graduation and work in the public sector after receiving their PhD, according to the press release.

The National University of Singapore and Yale University will open a liberal arts college together in Singapore, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported on Thursday. The Yale-NUS College will be the first liberal arts college in Singapore and the first residential college in Asia. The college will offer a four-year undergraduate program and degrees will be awarded by NUS, according to The Chronicle. While the Singaporean government plans to pay for the new campus. Yale will help select faculty members, create a curriculum and choose the leadership of the college. The Yale-NUS College will emphasize cross-disciplinary studies and fuse perspectives from both Eastern and Western education systems, in contrast with other Asian universities that focus on career specialization, according to The Chronicle. The college plans to employ 30 to 35 faculty members and enroll its first class of about 150 students in the 2013-2014 academic year. Once it is operating at full scale, the college will have about 1,000 students and 100 faculty members, according to The Chronicle.

President Barack Obama's approval rating has improved among college students by 9 percent since October, according to a survey by Harvard University, the Chronicle of Higher Education reported. The survey shows that students' level of trust in the federal government has not changed since 2000, as 64 percent of students still say they do not believe the government will make the right decisions, according to the survey. The results also indicate that 83 percent of college students care about the United States' international standing, and that students are more likely to be politically active than nonstudents, according to the survey.