Students, profs. in Japan are safe following earthquake

Dartmouth College has confirmed the safety of approximately 60 students and faculty members in Japan following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, according to a College press release.

The Dean of the College's Office, the Tucker Foundation, Staff in Counseling, International Student Programs and other campus support offices will continue to provide support services for students and faculty affected by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake, according to an e-mail sent by Dean of Undergraduate Students Deborah Tyson and acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears on Friday.

Students are mobilizing to provide aid for victims of the earthquake and tsunami. The Dartmouth Japan Society is collecting donations in Novack Cafe for organizations offering relief to Japan and its citizens, according to a campus-wide e-mail from the organization.

The earthquake was the strongest ever in Japan's history, making this the biggest crisis that post-War Japan has experienced, The New York Times reported. The earthquake and tsunami have triggered a nuclear crisis in Japan, as four nuclear plants have reported problems, including partial meltdowns at nuclear reactors, according to The Times.