Daily Debriefing

Annette Gordon-Reed '81 was appointed as a member of the Commission on the Humanities and Social Sciences, according to a press release on the Commission's website. Gordon-Reed was asked to join the Commission which was created on Feb. 17 by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences by Leslie Berlowitz, the president of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Gordon-Reed said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth. Gordon-Reed will serve on the Commission alongside filmmaker George Lucas, a former governor of Tennessee, the retired chief executive officer of the Lockheed Martin Corporation and numerous college and university presidents including those from Harvard University, Duke University, Stanford University and New York University. "I hope the existence of the Commission and the work we do will bolster public awareness of and support for the humanities and social sciences as disciplines that are crucial to the progress of society," Gordon-Reed said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth. As a member of the Board of Trustees, Gordon-Reed drew parallels between the goals of the Board and the Commission, citing their mutual interests in promoting "the best ways to educate young people." The Commission which aims to provide the government and educational institutions with steps to support national conversations about the humanities and social sciences was formed after a bipartisan group of United States Senators and Representatives requested its creation, according to the release.

The median base salary of senior administrators at colleges and universities across the nation has increased by 1.4 percent in the 2011 fiscal year, according to a report released on Monday by the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources, an organization that offers policy advice regarding higher education workforce issues to various institutions. Administrators have generally seen a 4 percent annual increase throughout the past decade, although 2011 median base salaries have remained the same as 2010. This year's increase can be entirely attributed to private institutions, where senior administrators' salaries increased by two percent, according to the report. Salaries across job categories other than deans and associate deans increased ranging between 1.3 and 1.6 percent. Hiring prospects for the next year at private and public institutions appear to be increasing from last year, according to the report.