VERBUM ULTIMUM: Fight for Our Rights

If certain New Hampshire Republicans have their way, Dartmouth students from out of state will soon find themselves unable to vote in New Hampshire ("Proposed Bill Bans Student Votes," Jan. 26). Bill 176, proposed by State Rep. Gregory Sorg, R-Grafton, would effectively ban students attending college in New Hampshire from casting any votes here, in both local and national elections. The College Republicans and the College Democrats have joined forces to fight the legislation. If we value our constitutional rights, we should all support their efforts.

The lawmakers behind the legislation are recycling previously discredited arguments in defense of the bill. The most egregious that College students are overwhelmingly liberal and thus exert a disproportionate influence on the political process is almost too outrageous to believe. In essence, the proposed bill is designed to disqualify a certain sector of the population from voting because of its political beliefs. If passed, this legislation would be an unconstitutional attempt to silence certain voters in order to benefit a particular party.

The proponents' second argument is slightly more compelling they maintain that college students are not truly invested in the affairs of the state where they study, and know very little about the issues that drive local politics. However, this argument rests on the assumption that students are more invested in their hometowns, which is often simply not the case. College students are a naturally rootless population, caught between the places where they grew up and where their future plans will take them. College often becomes the closest thing to home that we know. To say that students are not a part of the broader local community is a stinging rebuff of the affection we feel for the towns where we spend four of the most important years of our lives.

Furthermore, the idea that college students are isolated from the local community simply does not match reality. One has to look no further than Hanover Police's potentially dangerous prosecution of underage drinking to understand that college town politics have a tangible effect on students.

It is undeniable, however, that many students at Dartmouth aren't knowledgeable about New Hampshire politics, and aren't as active in the local town community as they could be. Dartmouth students should remain steadfastly opposed to this bill, but they should also recognize it as an opportunity and a challenge to become more active members of local and state political communities.

Bill 176 should encourage us to learn more about New Hampshire politics in both Hanover and beyond, as well as to increase our engagement with the community beyond the Dartmouth campus. We deserve the right to vote in our place of residence, but we also have the duty to responsibly exercise that right.