Over break, men's basketball sees tempered improvement

While most of campus returned home for the holidays, the Dartmouth men's basketball team was busy in Hanover and on the road playing six games in four states as it prepared to open Ivy League play this Saturday against Harvard University. The Big Green (4-9) went 2-4 during that stretch, including wins over the United States Military Academy and Drake University.

The team played the University of Vermont on Dec. 1, and then took a 10-day break for final exams before beginning its winter break schedule.

After leaving Hanover, Dartmouth suffered a major setback during a five-game road trip. The team fell at Iowa State University on Dec. 19, and then learned the next day that captain Ronnie Dixon '11 had broken his hand in practice an injury that will sideline him until late January at the earliest.

Dixon had surgery on the hand last week, but said that it is still difficult to use.

"I think it's a huge loss," Center Matt LaBove '13 said. "He's a captain and a senior leader, and nothing can really replace his experience. Different guys will have to step up to fill his shoes."

The news was not all bad, however, that week, the team also learned that Gediminas Bertasius '14 was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

Dartmouth was able to win without Dixon in a game versus Drake University on Dec. 21, as Kirk Crecco '12 scored 12 points and grabbed nine rebounds while starting in place of Dixon. David Rufful '12 added a game-high 17 points to lead the Big Green to a 67-59 victory.

"[It] was a huge win for us," LaBove said. "We played Iowa State tough in the first half as well, but you can't make mistakes with a Big 12 team."

Before leaving for Iowa, Dartmouth started its break by defeating Army (8-7, 0-0 Patriot) in an exciting 71-68 win in Hanover. Dartmouth trailed by 12 in the second half, but Dixon scored 18 of his career-high 21 points in the second half to lead the Big Green to a comeback victory. Dixon, who hit six of his seven three-point attempts, made three clutch free throws in the final minute to help ice the win.

The Big Green then embarked on the road trip, which culminated with an Army rematch on Jan. 3. The Black Knights took revenge on their home court, using a big rebound advantage to power themselves to a 67-47 victory.

Dartmouth lost at Saint Francis University on Dec. 14. Prior to leaving, the Big Green decided to remain in Hanover. Since finals period ended on Dec. 8, the men's team was among the only student present on a mostly-empty campus.

Although it could be lonely at times, the players said that the team's camaraderie helped make the time bearable.

"We're a pretty close team, so whenever there's a chance to do something together we take advantage of that," Dixon said.

LaBove reinforced the sentiment, and said that much of players' time even when campus is fully populated is spent together.

"We're in the gym a good portion of the day," LaBove said. "And other than that it's chilling, watching movies, playing video games."

Because the dining halls are closed during winter break, players are given a per diem to buy off-campus meals. LaBove said that the team often eats at local restaurants, such as Everything But Anchovies or Gusanoz.

Both players said that the coaching staff did a good job keeping the players occupied by organizing several activities, including bowling and dinner at a coach's house.

"We got a chance to do some community service," Dixon said. "We saw some kids in Norwich, Vt., at a Polar Express. We were [stationed at] the North Pole. That was pretty fun to do that."

From Iowa, the teammates scattered across the country to return home for the holidays. Almost everyone with the exception of some players who were delayed by the snow storm on the East Coast returned to Hanover on Dec. 26 to resume practice.

The team traveled to Lewisburg, Pa., to face Bucknell University on Dec. 30, but the Bison were able to avenge last year's defeat to the Big Green, winning 74-57. Dartmouth concluded its road trip with the loss at Army on Monday.

To this point, the 2010-11 season has provided mixed results for the Big Green. The team snapped its 17-game road losing skid, which dated back to the 2008-09 season. Dartmouth's 4-9 record is not encouraging heading into conference play, however, especially considering that the Big Green is averaging only 58.8 points per game.

The Big Green is also still transitioning to a new coaching staff, led by head coach Paul Cormier. Dartmouth would likely appreciate some stability in that department former coach Terry Dunn resigned midway through last season and, after taking over the team in Dunn's absence, coach Mark Graupe and assistant coaches Michael Brown and Tim Lane left the team before this fall. All three were in their first year with the Big Green.

So far, reviews on Cormier and his staff have been positive.

"The coaches have done a great job," Dixon said. "They've made it known that they're here to win. They really care about what they do and about the players."

LaBove noted their availability, which he called "important."

Dartmouth returns to action Saturday at 4 p.m. when it opens Ivy League play against Harvard (9-3) at Leede Arena.