Fraternities receive new members

Campus fraternities accepted a total of 28 new members this term, with Sigma Nu fraternity sinking the largest number of bids, according to Interfraternity Council President Tyler Brace '11.

The numbers were "fairly in line with what was expected," according to IFC rush chair Bill Mergner '11.

Eight fraternities accepted new members this term Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity saw two men sink bids; Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, six; Sigma Nu fraternity, seven; Zeta Psi fraternity, five; Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity and Theta Delta Chi fraternity, one; and Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity and Chi Heorot fraternity, three.

Several houses chose not to host winter fraternity recruitment this year, according to representatives interviewed by The Dartmouth.

Most of the houses that don't participate in winter rush "get what they want" in the fall, Brace said.

Psi Upsilon fraternity, Alpha Delta fraternity, Beta Alpha Omega fraternity, Bones Gate fraternity, Gamma Delta Chi fraternity, Phi Delta Alpha fraternity and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity did not offer any bids to new members over the weekend.

Although Phi Delt opened its doors to potential new members, no one attended the fraternity's rush event, Peter de Boursac '12 said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth.

SAE rush chair Taylor Sipple '13 cited "precedent" as the fraternity's reason for choosing not to hold winter recruitment. Representatives from other houses also cited a historical trend of having enough members to fill the house before winter recruitment begins in January.

"We only do fall rush," AD Rush Chair Lyman Missimer '11 said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth. "We usually get a pretty decent sized class in the fall, which fills our quota or exceeds it, so the size of the fraternity isn't really affected by not doing winter rush, nor is it needed."

Prospective members of AD who were off campus in the fall have the opportunity to join the fraternity in the winter without undergoing the official rush process, according to Missimer.

"They just have to tell a brother they know that they want to rush AD, and their name is put up for deliberation," Missimer said.

Many of the potential new members participating in winter recruitment were off campus in the fall or unsure of their decision to join a fraternity, according to Benjamin Ludlow '12, Chi Gam rush co-chair.

"We never expect big numbers in the winter," he said.

Zete experienced a greater turnout for winter recruitment, according to Ray Peng '12, the fraternity's president.

As the newest fraternity on campus, Zete saw the most sunk bids in last year's winter rush, The Dartmouth previously reported.

Significantly fewer men participate in winter rush than in fall rush, according to Mergner. During Fall term, over 300 men sunk bids. Last year, 14 men sunk bids during Winter rush, and 27 did in 2009, The Dartmouth previously reported.

Representatives from other fraternities did not respond to requests for comment by press time.