Former Tea Party activist leads GOP

Jack Kimball, a former Tea Party activist, will take over as New Hampshire's Republican Party Chairman on Saturday following his victory over Juliana Bergeron on Jan. 22, The New York Times reported. Kimball, described by his peers as a staunch fiscal and social conservative, will lead the state's Republican Party during New Hampshire's presidential primary, which will be a decisive factor in the 2012 elections.

Representatives of both parties have expressed mixed opinions about whether Kimball's conservative credentials and participation in the Tea Party movement will have a significant effect on the New Hampshire presidential primary, according to The Times. New Hampshire's primary tentatively scheduled for Feb. 14, 2012 is historically the first in the nation and serves as an indicator of candidates' success nationwide.

Harrell Kirstein, press secretary for the New Hampshire Democratic Party, said that Kimball's takeover of the Republican Party and his support from Speaker of the House Bill O'Brien is "troubling."

"His election completed the Tea Party take down of the New Hampshire Republican Party," Kirstein said. "And what's even more troubling is the people who were backing him. O'Brien said that he needed Kimball because he needed reinforcement in the legislative war he is fighting in Concord. Both continue to frame their agenda in dangerous, war-like terms."

State Rep. Andrew White, D-Grafton, said he questioned Kimball's credibility due to the lack of support from outgoing chairman of the New Hampshire Republican Party and former Sen. John Sununu, R-N.H.

"When Republicans like [former Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H.,] and Sununu don't back candidates like Kimball, you wonder who's backing them and where they're getting their base of support from," White said.

Sununu supported Bergeron because of her longtime experience with the party, but expressed no dissatisfaction with Kimball, according to vice chairman of the New Hampshire Republican Party Wayne MacDonald.

Although Accornero voted for Bergeron for chairman, he said the new leadership will be "positive."

"Kimball wants to widen the tent," Accornero said. "He expects people to have differences in their core beliefs, and as long as he gets out there and sends the message, We don't expect you to agree with everything we stand for,' he will be successful."

State Rep. Joe Osgood, R-Sullivan, who classifies himself as an "extreme conservative on economic and social issues," said that Kimball's support from Tea Party members is irrelevant, as the movement in New Hampshire is relatively inactive. The state's Republican Party still houses many moderate members, according to MacDonald.

"The Republican Party is a conservative party, but we are also a big party and we're diverse," MacDonald said. "Conservatism is a huge element, but not the only one."

Although as chairman, Kimball will lead organization efforts focused on planning the primary election events, White said he hopes that GOP leadership won't impact the election results.

"I would hope that the voters in New Hampshire would influence fully the outcome of the primaries," White said.

Osgood said that voters will decide the primaries, and that it is unlikely that the chairman will influence the success of particular candidates.

"Personally, I don't think it will have any effect whatsoever on what the Republican committee does during the primaries," he said. "In two months, nobody will even realize he was affiliated with the Tea Party."

Kimball will take on the responsibilities central to organizing the presidential primaries, according to state Rep. Harry Accornero, R-Belknap.

"His job is to raise money for the party, but he will be introducing people and will lean more towards candidates that stand for traditional conservative Republican values," Accornero said.

Although candidates already focus heavily on their New Hampshire campaigns, Kimball will still reach out to presidential contenders to encourage them to campaign in the state, Accornero said.