Students perform risque play ‘Closer' in Periodicals Room

11.12.10.arts.Closer
11.12.10.arts.Closer

Written by Patrick Marber, "Closer" is set in modern-day London. It involves four strangers who meet and get caught in a web of sex and lies. Each character is very human almost unpleasantly so constantly betraying and hurting those close to them. They are all intricately involved, romantically and sexually, and are ultimately driven by desire and a need for truth.

Thursday night's debut production proved to be a success, with an audience that included a sizable contingent of theater fans, in addition to supportive friends.

The daring dialogue was delivered with full force by the actors' strong performances. Particularly compelling was the portrayal of Anna, a divorcee torn by her moral shields played by Susan Edwardson '12.

The atypical staging in the Periodicals added a layer of intimacy to the play, which was heightened by the in-the-round seating, with additional viewers watching from the room's balconies. This directorial decision was, according to Lindsay, "all about closing in on the characters." The result is an enjoyable, out-of-the-ordinary theater experience, as audience members are placed in the middle of the action and tension.

The length of the play Thursday's performance was over two and a half hours long may be off-putting to some. The captivating plot, dialogue and acting, however, will definitely keep audience members engaged.

Not surprisingly, in light of the production's pared-down technical elements, the character development is at its peak. The chemistry among the actors was palpable, which Lindsay attributed to the cast's ability to draw upon their own relationship experiences. Thanks to the believability of the actors, the production hones in on the power of dialogue and raw emotion, making the performance chillingly spectacular.

The play takes conveying true-to-life relationships seriously, as displayed by Marber's refusal to shy away from explicit sexuality. The dialogue is jarring and raw, with graphically explicit language and blunt descriptions of sexual acts. In one scene, references are made to a pornographic conversation in an Internet chat room, in an almost uncomfortably accurate portrayal.

Although such explicit language risks putting off more conservative audience members, it also adds a truthfulness to the play that otherwise would likely be lacking. Indeed, this genuineness is part of what drew Lindsay to the play, she said.

"I think it's really truthful about love and how people treat each other," she said.

But beware ideas of sexual liberation, unfaithfulness and passionate webs of love may hit all to close to home for some on the Dartmouth campus.

"Closer" will continue this Friday, Nov. 12 and Saturday Nov. 13 at 7 p.m.